+ t h r e e

+ Jade

"It's time!"

I looked at the wedding planner in shock. I would've thought I would have more time to process this. In fact, I already thought I had processed me getting married, but now the whole thing is hitting me like a ton of bricks. Everything's coming so fast and at once, it's honestly too much to take in. I hate it. I hate the people here I hate my parents. I hate Hakeem. And I, most definitely, hate myself for not fighting for my happiness.

"Well, don't just stand there, go! We have a wedding going on here!" The wedding planner said impatiently.

My heart was pounding in my chest, as my breathing became erratic. I felt a panic attack begin to come on, as I felt a headache coming on and my vision getting blurry.

"Jade!" I heard my father's frantic voice, and began to snap out of me. "Are you okay, baby girl?"

"Yeah." I massaged my temples. "Just a little... overwhelmed."

Dad nodded, but grabbed my shoulders tightly, holding me in place. "You've got to get it together, okay?"

At that moment, I violently shook his hands from off of my shoulder and  locked arms with my father. He didn't even give damn about his own daughter about to have a panic attack. And I honestly hate that my skin is contacting him, even if it is a suit. He's done some shitty things as a father, but this right here just hit below the belt. I would never forgive him for this, not even when his ass is on his deathbed taking his last breath!

"On the count of three, you are going to walk slowly and elegantly down the aisle. 1..." You can do this Jade. "2..." Can I really do this? "3!" I can't do this, I want out. I'm too young to marry. I'm not ready for this kind of commitment.

The double doors opened and everyone stood. I began to walk slowly and elegantly, as instructed. I could see the heartwarming smiles of the people watching me, and as they stared and whispered in awe of my appearance. There was some of the biggest designers here, like Oliver Rouesting, Riccardo Tisci, Donatella Versace. Music artists like Patti LaBelle, Rihanna, J. Cole, Adele, and so many others. I honestly couldn't keep track. Actors, models, artists. This really was the wedding of the decade.

And, gosh, the scenery was beautiful. The main color theme was vibrant creme and pale pink. There were roses everywhere. I felt as though I had walked into my dream fantasy forest. I walked across the white marble floors, that were imported from Portugal, or so I've been told. And there were rose vines hanging from the ceiling, which really took my breath away.

It was my dream wedding, everything I've wanted in a wedding, but I imagined this with the person I loved. How could something feel so right, but is so wrong? I felt manipulated into this whole wedding deal. Yes, this is everything I would've wanted in a wedding, but there's no love here. There's no happiness, no feeling of reassurance. I felt empty and alone. This isn't what I wanted. I was so angry, I was crying. But because of the lie my parents and the Lyons were keeping up, people took it as tears of happiness.

Soon, I found myself in front of  Hakeem Lyon. His face was blank and void of emotion, as he took my hand from my father's and said his thank you to him. The look in his eyes was a mixture of hate and resentment. Like I wanted to marry is narrowed ass, either. This wasn't my plan to tie him down, and I bet he's thinking that. 

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to bless the union of Hakeem Bryshere Lyon and Jade Alexandra Carter. If there's anyone who would like to object, please speak up or forever hold your peace." Bishop T.D. Jakes spoke.

My eyes roamed the room, until they landed on Tiana's. I could tell from the look in her eyes, that she wanted to explode and rip me apart, limb by limb. Her eyes held a look of torture, sadness, and hatred. I didn't believe in taking another woman's man, but this was not my decision to make. That's another reason why I can't stand the Lyons or my parents. The one who's really getting fucked over here is Tiana. I couldn't imagine watching the man I love marrying another woman. But I needed her to speak up for once.  I just wish she would object so I wouldn't have to marry this fool.

"Very well, then. Now, we would  have a musical selection by the beautiful, talented Bebe and Cece Winans." Bishop said.

Hakeem and I turned towards a small, circular stage where the singing duo of brother and sister stood.

"This is for you, lovebirds." Cece said, and I fought to roll my eyes. Bitch, please. If anything, we were the exact opposite.

They proceeded to sing one of their hit songs, "I Found You". It was a beautiful song, really, but I felt so disgusted and uncomfortable hearing them singing about undying love. When they ended, everyone clapped. Even I did, despite my feelings. Their voices were so beautiful together. I turned back to Hakeem, who looked as if he was about to explode.

Me too, buddy. Me too.

"Now, it's time to recite the vows and present the rings." Bishop said.

I watched as Jamal Lyon, one of Hakeem's older brothers, hand a ring to Hakeem, being his best man. And of course, Star handed me a ring, being my maid of honor.

"Now, repeat after me. 'I, Hakeem Bryshere Lyon, take you Jade Alexandra Carter,, to be my wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part.'" Bishop Jakes said to Hakeem.

Hakeem threw a quick glance towards Tiana, who looked away in pain. I could see the sad, strained emotion plastered across his face. They really loved each other, and Hakeem was stuck with me. Although he wanted to fight to keep Tiana, he was stuck with me for a year. Then he looked towards me with cold, calculating eyes. I wanted to shrink and cower away just looking into those eyes. 

"I, Hakeem Bryshere Lyon, take you, Jade Alexandra Carter, to be my wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward til death do us part." Hakeem threw on his big cheesy smile as he said his vows to me, but I could see it in his eyes that he didn't mean it. Of course he didn't mean it, he wasn't in love with me.

"Now, you repeat after me. I, Jade Alexandra Carter, take you, Hakeem Bryshere Lyon, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward til death do us part." Bishop Jakes said to me.

I took a deep breath and forced myself into a big, girlish grin, "I, Jade Alexandra Carter, take you. Hakeem Bryshere Lyon, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward til death do us part."

It felt utterly wrong saying those words. I felt like I was betraying myself and everything I stood for. Where is my self respect? Did I care about wealth so much that I wouldn't risk being sued by my parents? I'm having so much internal conflict going on right now, it's creating a mind boggling headache.

"In the power invested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your bride." Bishop Jakes said with a big smile.

Ugh! It made my skin crawl to kiss Hakeem. Who knows where the hell them lips have been.

I closed my eyes as Hakeem pulled me into a small, five second kiss. It was that quick. To others, it may have seen deep and sensual, but it was really like a peck.

"I now present to you Mr. and Mrs. Hakeem Bryshere Lyon." Bishop said and everyone stood clapping.

I looked around and saw Lucious smiling proudly, and Cookie, with a stank face, also clapping. What did I ever do to her? Anika Calhoun, Lucius' ex fiance, was clapping, along with Jamaal, but there was no Andre. I wonder where he could be.

I looked towards my family, and Blue was blowing me sweet kisses and winked at me. Auntie Solo, Grandma, and my cousin Angie were all wiping away tears.  As for my parents, they didn't dare to look me in the eyes. Cowards.

Only good thing about this marriage, is that I won't have to ever see the people who betrayed me ever again. I'm done.

I attached my arm with Hakeem's and we proceeded to walk down the aisle. Along, I smiled sweetly at all the people who were congratulating us.

As soon as were out of the plaza, we hopped into the limo that had the usual 'Just Married' taped on the back.

I was a married woman. I was no longer Jade Alexander Carter, I was Jade Alexandra Lyon. My happiness was stripped away from me just moments. And now there's nothing for me to do but live in a loveless marriage.