Two Things For Sure.. (Ch 20)

Kim and I turned to each other, shrugged, and then split up, waving to each other. I walked over to Jake and took his outstretched hand, careful not to step in the little patches of mud. He kept me close as we squeezed through the twisting branches. This path was definitely much trickier than the one we had just been on, but I trusted Jake.

“Alright, careful.” He stepped up onto a higher level of the forest and turned around and grabbed both my hands, pulling me up.

This terrain was a little easier to deal with so we walked a bit quicker than before. I could hear the distant sound of rushing waters and I had a feeling that was what Jake meant when he said “sights” in the car. I followed along, but suddenly stumbled over a root, grabbing onto Jake’s arm to stop myself from flying forward. He lifted his arm to block me from going any further and slung it around my waist.

“You worry me.” He softly said, shaking his head with a smile.

“Believe me, I worry myself.” I replied.

He pulled me further up a sloped hill before he stopped right at a clearing. I looked around him to see why we stopped and my eyes widened to the magnificence in front of me. We were on a much higher ground level than we had been all hiking trip, and from where I stood I saw the most beautiful waterfall I had ever seen. It was straight out of a picture book. The white water rushed down the side of the mountain and onto the wide flowing stream. I continued to marvel at the scene in front of me and moved closer to get a better view of everything below. However after a few steps, I felt Jake quickly move behind me and place his hand on my stomach, pulling me back.

“Whoa, not so close to the edge.” His eyes held nothing but care and a hint of worry.

“I just want to see over.” I explained.

He hesitantly nodded, and kept his arm around my waist from behind and slowly walked me near the edge of the rock we were standing on. I looked over and saw all the beautiful greenery growing around the side of the stream that continued on for what looked like miles. Jake then carefully pulled me back so we were back to where we were standing before.

“This is amazing, Jake.” I breathed out, my eyes still taking in everything. “It’s beautiful.”

“I discovered it with Seth, actually, a year ago. And right then I knew you had to see it.” He told me, also looking around and stuffing his hands in his pockets.

“Thanks for showing it to me.” I laid my hand on his upper arm and rubbed it with my thumb gently.

“Of course.” He shrugged. “Now I wonder where Jared and Kim ended up.”

Uhoh. I had completely forgotten about them. We both looked into the forest, hoping to see any trace of them, but there was only green. Jake took my hand and pulled me back to where we came from, retracing the path.

“JARED!” He called, his voice many octaves louder than usual. “KIM!”

I joined him in his calls as we searched, making sure to look at all angles so we wouldn’t miss anything.

“Short cut my ass.” He muttered under his breath. “JARED!”

We somehow found our way back to the waterfall. Jake said the best thing to do was just stay here and wait for them to show up. So that’s what we did- until a sudden loud roar boomed from up above. I let out a quick shriek as I jumped in fright, not expecting it. Jacob’s head tilted up to the now dark, heavily clouded sky. He looked back at me, eyes wide.

“Shit it’s gonna—“ Before he even let the sentence out an unbelievable downpour swept over us, the raindrops coming down fifty miles a minute. I squinted up at Jake through the rain, my hands going over my eyes so I could shield them from the wet curtain in front of me.