Parasites and Dogs (Ch 36)

We may only have tonight, but till the morning sun you’re mine. All mine, play the music low and sway to the rhythm of--

“Lucy… Luce..”

I felt a rough nudge in my ribs that pulled me out of my daze. I had been trying to drown out the noises of the ridiculously loud kids around me. We had a substitute today who seemed to be about 700 years old. Taking advantage of her frailness the class had turned into complete chaos with threads of profanities shouted across the room, and occasional desks toppling over. So I had decided to just doodle on the cover of my notebook while softly humming lyrics to myself. There was no way in hell any of these monkeys could hear me anyway. I was in the middle of a perfectly symmetrical heart when Embry took my attention, messing it up.

“What?” I tried not to snap at him. I mean come on. It was a perfect heart. And now it’s just ruined.

He threw his head in the direction of the old woman stationed behind the podium at the front of the desk. She could hardly see over it with her lacking height compared to Mr. Brana, our six foot something history teacher.

“Lucinda? Not here?” Her large spectacled eyes looked over the room, ignoring the loud chatter emitting from student who didn’t give a damn.

I rolled my eyes with a sigh, “Right here.”

“You’re Lucinda?” she asked, penciling in the small checkmark beside my name.

“No, I’m Lucy actu---“

“Brian Circo?” she cut me off, already moving on to the next name.

Embry’s chuckle rumbled my desk and I turned to him in deadpan. “Shut up, Ember.” That’s what the batty old substitute had called him.

“No” He pointed a warning finger at me.

I laughed remembering his whole process of trying to teach her his real name.

**

“Ember Call?”

“It’s Embry.”

“Embery?”

“…. Embry.”

“Emily?”

“EM-BRY. EMBRY”

“Alright Ember.”

**

Hah! It was great. I couldn’t wait to tell the other guys about it.

“At least she got your name right,” He replied.

“My name is not Lucinda!” I exclaimed just as the bell rang, dismissing us all.

Embry rolled his eyes and got up, already making his way to the door. I huffed and slung my bag over my shoulder before following him. The hallways was as usual crowded with the same kids I had grown accustomed to seeing each day.. whether I liked it or not. The only good thing is that the stares had somewhat calmed down since the first day. Everyone had gotten used to me being there, and good thing too because I’m staying for good.

“I really do not see the point of biology. I don’t” Embry grumbled beside me, pushing his hands into his pockets.

I looked up at him, amused. “Do you realize that you say the same thing every day?”

“Well I mean it! What does biology have anything to with life?”

I laughed, shaking my head. “It’s the study of life, idiot.”

Embry shrugged. “Not mine! Show me where in that text book I can find any explanation of werewo—“

I wasn’t particularly listening to him anymore. Not after spotting Jake walking over to us from behind Embry. One of his hands was tucked safely into the pocket of his jeans while the other held all the necessary books he needed for the morning.