01 | the happy animals

' faces of nature '

IT WAS AN EARLY AUTUMN MORNING and a frosty chill hung in the air

IT WAS AN EARLY AUTUMN MORNING and a frosty chill hung in the air. The sweet surrendering scent of the morning dew filled the forest with a scent that did not belong on earth. Autumn leaves from the tall trees lay scattered on the forest floor; each of them turning brittle brown; there was a sound like dried cereal being crunched underfoot, pushing their papery remains deep into the soft soil.

The dark shadows of the voluminous trees and the surrounding bushes had become the backbone of the forest, standing as passive protectors of a peaceful place. The autumn sun rose in a hurry as if trying to make up for setting too early the evening before, blooming into the pale sky with a warm mellow glow, sending what was left of the moon packing until its next shift guarding the night.

By mid-morning, the sky was a brilliant baby blue. As the morning developed the sound of young birds filled the air: chirping, tweeting and warbling incessantly.

The lake had been hardened by the sharp cold unforgivingness of an icy frost, the translucent water bound as a smooth solid. The wildlife was bold yet cautious of figuring out their new visitor, daring to get closer to have a look at the foreign creature disturbing their peace.

As the day went on the forest came to life. The trees dance in the wind, the sound of running water in the stream had the same hypnotic quality as music luring animals in to have a drink, to taste the warm sweet sensation of fresh water.

A girl with striking gold hair danced around the forest, a huge grin on her face. Her moves were graceful as she twirled around, moving her feet like a professional. She was enjoying her time for she was at peace. But that soon ended when a phone ringtone was heard.

The girl stopped dancing and frowned before slipping her hand into her back pocket and taking out a gold iPhone. She answered the phone before lifting it up to her ear.

"Hello?"

"Chloe." The girl's frown was soon turned into a huge smile as she heard the voice of her best friend.

"Rosalie! How are you?" She asked, a giggle leaving her mouth after. Memories of their past flashed through her mind as she relaxed at the sound of her voice. It surprised some people when they learnt that Chloe was close friends with Rosalie for they were total opposites.

"I'm not okay." At the sound of her best friend's distressed voice, Chloe was on high alert. "We are in trouble, Chloe. My family and I and we need your help." And immediately Chloe agreed, telling her she would be at their house in a minute. Rosalie was going to ask if she knew where it was but Chloe had already ended the call.

Inhaling a deep breath, the blonde angel raised her arms above her, closing her eyes shut. She muttered a few words under her breath, the feeling of power travelled through her veins as a bright light swirled around her hands before covering her body, embracing her with its light and warmth.

"Rosalie." With one word, the girl and the light had disappeared from the meadow, leaving confusion dancing in the eyes of the animals that took residence in the forest as their favourite vampire had just disappeared.