Chapter 48: Reunited

Brett

"Wells!" I spun around quickly at the sound of my name being called and noticed the football flying towards my head. Instinctively, my arms stretched out and I caught the ball as it plummeted into my chest, letting out a gasp as it knocked the wind out of me.

Football in hand, I looked up to see who threw it. My eyes immediately met Grayson's, who was smiling at me with a wicked grin.

I whipped the ball into the ground and took a step towards him. "What the fu -" James quickly moved in front of me before I could get another word out, his eyes pleading with me.

"After we win the championship, man. After." I took a deep breath and stalked away, cursing under my breath. I ignored the sound of Grayson's laughter coming from the field behind me.

Ever since that day in the gym, Grayson's' disgusting comment about Becca has been stuck in my head. Having to practice with the guy and not bash his face in was driving me crazy. If it wasn't for James and the stupid promise I made him, I'd be sporting a bruised, and possibly broken, wrist right now.

Maybe listening to James advice was for the best. This way, my hands are fully functioning and I can play my best tonight. The team needs me and even though I didn't even like this damn game, I wasn't about to let my team down. So I would ignore Grayson and the Bears would win the championship in a few weeks. Then, I would show him what happens when you mess with the girl I love.

Sitting on the bench, I took off my helmet then pulled out my water bottle and took a swig, drinking half its contents while the other half trailed down my chin.

I buried my head in my hands, trying to let the anger pushing its way up inside me pass, when I heard the sound of cleats digging into the ground.

"What's the deal with you two?" I looked up as Jeff took a seat beside me, taking off his helmet and placing it on his lap.

"Nothing," I mumbled, taking another sip of water just to have something to do.

"That wasn't nothing, dude. What the hell happened?" He watched me for a minute before his eyes widened in understanding and he ran his hand through his hair. "Shit, man. I'm sorry. I was there in the cafeteria when he made that comment about Becca ... I completely forgot to tell you."

Great, both Becca and my best friend forgot to mention Grayson's comment about her in bed. Rolling my eyes, I chose to ignore it.

I reached out and patted my best friend's shoulder. "No worries. Soon as the championship is done, he'll get what's coming to him."

Jeff's gaze traveled onto the field, watching our teammates running back and forth and practicing the drills that Coach was yelling. The game was starting in an hour, we were getting in some final practice time before the stands started to fill with students.

"You fix everything with your girl?"

"Tonight," I replied, grinning like a maniac.

Jeff took one glance at me and chuckled, shaking his head back and forth. "Swear to God, Brett, you two have the most difficult relationship I've ever seen. For two people in love, you sure know how to make shit complicated."

Hell, he didn't have to tell me twice. But I didn't want to think about the crap Becca and I had gone through these past few weeks. I just wanted my girl back in my arms. Simple.

"She's coming tonight," I told him, hearing the happiness in my own voice.

"She told you that?"