Chapter 7

Well it’s certainly been a while! I didn’t know there was any interest in my story until I checked my account recently. Glad to know people are reading! Anyway here’s a new part! I will try to post another part soon :)

                   “Mommy wake up! He’s gone!” I sprung my torso forward with Jason falling on his backside. As I glanced at my bedside clock that blinked 6:38 in red numbers, reality started to sink in. I flung the covers off my body and jogged to the spare room. The door was slightly a jar and my heart sank. I peered in the bedroom to neatly folded sheets and the pillows placed gracefully at the head of the bed.

                  “He left a note”, Jason ran to my side with a giant grin on his face, shoving the small piece of paper into my hands.

                  Thank you for your hospitality Ms. Lane. Obviously there are still topics that need to be discussed concerning past events, but for now farewell.

                  I flipped the note to the backside, nothing but a blank page. That’s it? That’s all he had to say?

“Don’t worry mommy, he said that he wants to see you again soon”. He wrapped his tiny fingers around my hand, warmth spreading through my palm. He couldn’t wait for me to wake up, to properly say goodbye? The feeling of disappointment filled my heart.

                  “How about I get you ready for school?” I wrapped my arms around Jason’s body but I felt him resisting my hold.

                  “I’m strong mommy you don’t have to carry me anymore!” He said with both his fists in the air. I couldn’t help but chuckle to myself. He is my strong little superboy.

                  “Hey Lois, you’re a bit late” Jimmy said as he greeted me with a to-go cup of coffee.

                  “It’s been a rough twenty-four hours Jimmy” I replied, grabbing my second cup of coffee I would have today. I dropped my leather briefcase on my desk and plopped my body in the rolling desk chair. I peered over into Clark’s cubicle, finding it empty.

                  “Hey Jimmy where’s Kent?” I voiced across a couple aisles.      

                  “Chief said he called in sick. He looked fine yesterday, he must have the strange 24 hour flu that’s going around”. He said while leaning on the cubicle wall, “Why don’t we visit and bring him some soup?” Jimmy’s face lit up with excitement, like a Labrador wanting to play fetch.

                  “Sure Jimmy that sounds like a good idea, we’ll head around lunch time”. Any little distraction could help me at this point. Before I could sit back down, Richard White appeared holding a small box of chocolates in front of my face.

                  “And what is this for?” I said reluctantly grabbing the box from his hands.

                  “Well I thought with Valentines Day coming up in a week I could get a head start on a wonderful day for both of us”. I felt my eyes start to bulge out of my head.

                  “Are you asking me out? On a date?”

                  “You could say that”, he said with a sly smirk,

                  “Oh wow I’m flattered Richard. More surprised actually, aren’t there other girls out there wanting to be with you on valentines?” I said trying to get myself out of this situation. Deep down I was hoping that maybe a certain someone else would maybe spare some of their time for a lovely romantic dinner.