Chapter 3

“Hey Lois, you’re sleeping… again. If the chief finds you…” I slowly opened my eyes to a laptop screen right in front of me. I rubbed my temples, trying to clear away the pounding headache starting to form.  Jimmy was sitting on my desk playing with one of Jason’s toys.

                  “Don’t you have work to get done?” I said fixing the pile of papers on my desk.

                  “Yeah, I’m just waiting for the photos to print” He said continuing to play with the little car. For a 23 year old, he was still such a child. I looked down at my watch with shock on my face.

                  “Shit! I can’t be late again to get Jason!” I quickly grabbed the car keys and slipped on my heels.

                  “Lois, calm down! Clark was nice enough to get him for you” He said standing in my pathway. I felt my body go from tense to relaxation.

                  “The things we do for you Ms. Lane” He said with his hands on his hips. I gave him a weak smile and looked down at my laptop. I started to type out the first sentences on my laptop.

                  Only 5 more hours… I thought to myself.

                  “Mommy!” Jason came running to my desk holding a big envelope in his right hand.

                  “Hey sweetie! What have you got there?” I said pulling my eyes away from the computer screen. He walked over towards me and plopped it down on my lap. I pulled out a picture frame made out of macaroni pasta, with a picture of Jason and I posing in front of a giraffe in the zoo from a couple months ago.

                  “I want it to go right here” He said putting next to my computer screen. I couldn’t help but laugh as I picked him up off the ground.

                  “Thank you so much! I love it!” I said looking at the cute photo. I looked over at Clark who just settled into his seat.

                  “Clark, I just want to say thanks. How bout I take you out for dinner tonight? Then we can really catch up” I said placing Jason back down on the floor.

                  “Oh that sounds swell” He said fixing his glasses.

                  “Mommy I like Clark” I said putting him back down.

                  “Did you hear that Clark? You’ve got a new friend” I said smiling at him. He smiled back with that dorky way he has. I just started to type away at my article when Amy stopped at my desk. Her eyes were read and swollen, but she had a smile on her face.

                  “Hi Lois” She said clearing her throat. “I was wondering if I could take Jason earlier today. You see, they just put in a new park near my house, I thought I could take him there, and do some arts and crafts later tonight” She said with her head down.

                  “That sounds great. Amy is there something wrong?” I said standing up and placing my hand on her back. She shook her head slowly and stood up straight.

                  “My boyfriend dumped me, I was hoping I could just take Jason earlier, to clear my mind” She said wiping her face clean.