Chapter 40

Bella's POV:

My body felt like lead.

The antidote had successfully revived me, but all the damage I received from the General is not helping at all. My head is pounding, my limbs are aching, and I can hardly stand on my feet. There was blood dripping from wounds all over and I felt like each step would be my last.

I knew Layla was safe now, seeing as both the man and the General were dead. The thought of how I killed them loomed in my mind but I pushed it to the side. That wasn't my top priority right now: it was staying alive.

I've slowly been making my way away from the ships, hoping if I got closer to the town, I'd be in the area where the fighting was thinner. It's taken me a long time though. 

I put Shayla's body in a secure place so I could find her after this was over. I couldn't just leave her out in the open to get trampled on. It wouldn't do her justice at all. 

But moving her exhausted me even more. I was surprised I was still moving. My body was weak and I felt like I would drop dead at any given moment. But I couldn't. This war was far from over. I haven't seen anyone else in ages, and I have no idea if any of them have even met a General or the Emperor for that matter. One of five are dead, but if they're anything like Caius was, it was going to be a hard battle to win. 

Especially if we're already worn out. 

If this war was long, we would surely be wiped out. Our numbers are already vastly different and I have a bad feeling the number of pirates have dwindled since we arrived on shore.

A soldier begins to run at me and I grit my teeth together, forcing my sword up to block his hit, nearly being thrown to the ground by his force. 

"Get...out...of my...way!" I strain, punching him in the face, knocking him off balance, before plunging my sword into his stomach. He fell to the ground and I let out heavy breaths, feeling sweat on my forehead from that one attack.

I could hardly move, but somehow my body continued forward, and I held onto my injured arm as I trudged through the sand, my body shaking with the effort. I have to get to Harry. I think to myself, gritting my teeth together and forcing myself to keep going.

Willpower was all I had left right now. I needed to rest, to have my injuries taken care of before I lost too much blood, and I needed to get my head to stop pounding. It made me hardly be able to see straight.

I sneak up behind a soldier and knock him out by jabbing the butt of my sword against his neck. He tumbles to the ground and another soldier turns towards me, raising his sword and I take in a deep breath. 

When he swings his sword I fall to my knees, sending him off balance as much of his weight shifted forwards, and I swung my sword up, cutting his chest and making him fall into the sand, but not before some of his blood splattered on my face.

Slightly repulsed, I wipe my face best I could before forcing myself to stand upright again, the strain on my body making me heave. Breaths came out of my lips in short gasps and I struggled to keep my body from shaking. 

I was already near the town, but I couldn't see how near. The closer I got, the more soldiers that began to appear. It was almost hopeless to think we'd be able to win this. 

A soldier charges right at me and I gasp, caught off-guard as I feebly put my sword up, blocking his attack but being thrown to the sand as I did. My forehead hit the ground and I grit my teeth, spitting out sand before turning around, my eyes wide as I see the soldier giving me a grin.

"Say goodbye." he sneers and my heart pounds in my chest as I weakly watch as he raises his sword up, about to come down at me. 

Before he can do so, an arrow flies through his neck, making both his and my eyes go wide. Blood begins to spew from his neck as he drops to his knees, and then falls to his side, dead.