4- Meet Some Of Our Past

If I think about it now, yes, I overreacted. Well, maybe because what we were doing could have meant nothing. All Niall wanted was to know what a tattoo felt like could have been the best excuse and as Veronica wasn’t inside of my head, there was probably nothing to worry about. But I knew exactly what I was thinking and I was almost sure about what Niall was thinking. Or was I just delusional? No, that look on his eyes had to mean something. He looked as carried away as I was. He was breathing heavily as I was. We were both enjoying our little interaction so, so much.

“Excuse me?” she asked, still surprised.

“Excuse you for what?” Niall spat, quickly moving away from me.

She walked to the sofa and sat right in the middle of us. I wanted to say something but I just couldn’t. “That’s a cool tattoo, Harry,” she said almost in complicity. Was she really clueless or was she ok with whatever it was what we were doing?

“Um, thanks,” I mumbled, hating myself for being so awkward and obvious and rushing to bottom my shirt again.

“Wait, can I touch it too or that’s just for my brother?” she laughed.

“What are you saying? Shut up,” Niall spat again.

“Relax, I’m joking,” she looked at him and then back at me to blink an eye, “So? Can I?” she insisted.

“Go ahead,” I answered unsure.

“I can’t believe you.”

“Just play along,” she whispered, “Niall, you should have known better. There are cameras in here. This, what I’m doing now, validates whatever you were doing before,” she explained.

“But we weren’t doing anything,” the awkward red on his face made him look even cuter.

“I know you weren’t,” she said looking straight into my eyes, making my worries strike back, “Niall, dad is looking for you. He is being insistent so it must be important. Go meet him at his desk,” she told him, still not breaking the eye contact with me. I knew I was going to get scolded and boy, that would have been the most awkward situation I had ever been in.

“I’ll be right back,” he said looking at me with pity on his eyes. He looked so worried, so regretful and I almost couldn’t help myself from telling him it was all right. I couldn’t imagine what he must have felt like. If Gemma walked on me touching a boy at that age, I would have wanted to die. What if his father was watching the video? I’ve heard how close-minded South American people were and I didn’t want to cause him any trouble. I didn’t even care about me anymore. All I wanted was him to be fine.

“Harry?” Veronica called me. I don’t know how much time passed since Niall left the room but she caught me staring at the door, too lost on my own thoughts.

“Sorry,” I blushed.

“You like him. You actually like him.”

“What? No. I don’t. I mean. It’s not what you think,” I tried to sound convincing.

“Nothing will happen. I’ll delete the footage before the guards watch it,” the way she was inspecting me with her eyes made me feel even more nervous.

“Everything you do is being watched? The whole time?” I stood up to walk around the room, trying to change the subject.

“You like him,” she repeated.

“No, Veronica, listen-”

“He is sixteen, Harry.”

“I know but-”