Types of Split Ends

Traditional Split: The most common type of split ends. The result of dryness, and friction.

Baby Split: The beginning of s normal split end. Hurry up and cut this split end before it gets worse.

Triple Split: A weakened cuticle layer causes the cuticle to peel away from a strong cortex.

Double Y Split: A traditional split where the branches are forming new splits.

Incomplete Split: Rough styling causes the hair to weaken at a specific point, but the hair fails to completely split.

Long Split: Hair pins and other accessories causes the hair to weaken and split at a specific spot.

Deep Split: Damage from chemicals or physical manipulation causes the cuticle to peel.

Taper: Chemical damage causes the cuticle to gradually peel away leaving the cortex exposed.

Thickening: Hormonal imbalances and certain medications causes texture changes along the hair shaft.

White Spots: The result of severe chemical burns.

Right Angle: A bend in the hair shaft at a specific point due to wearing the same hairstyle for too long.

Off Shoot: A cross between a bend and a tangle that results from chemical/heat, environmental or physical damage.

Crinkle: The result of physically stretching the hair up to the breaking point or with chemicals/hear styling tools.

Tree Split: Caused by damage on one side of the hair shaft, usually from sun damage or frequently brushing the hair into a ponytail.

Feather Split: The result of excessive hair coloring or infrequent trimming.

The Knot: Not a split end, but can cause more knots, tangled, and other forms of damage. Usually the result of excessive dryness, physical manipulation, and harsh winds. Very common in curliest hair textures.