Chapter 9

-... .- -.. / -. . .-- ...

~~~

M'gann's POV

M'gann sat in the passenger's side of the car. She had taken the form of a blonde, green eyed girl, and donned a white shirt with a blue sweater and skirt. She and her uncle had decided it would be best to disguise themselves until they got to the house. J'onn was in his regular human disguise.

Willow had given them her address, and they'd decided to bring her parents to Mount Justice. Despite the fact that it was a big security risk, M'gann had convinced them it was more important that Willow see her parents in person. It was the least she could do, after all that girl had been through.

After spending some time with her, Willow seemed really nice. She'd thought about using telepathy to interact with her, but wanted to let Willow decompress before using it. M'gann had learned the hard way that some people weren't as open to mind reading as her people.

You've not spoken a word since we left, J'onn remarked as they drove. Since it was just them, he used telepathy. It's unlike you. Is something wrong?

Well, yeah, she answered. I just found out Cadmus had my DNA and used it to torture a girl. I'm not exactly in the best of moods right now.

I know you feel guilty, but you can't blame yourself for what happened, J'onn replied. Cadmus did a terrible thing, a violating thing, but it's no ones fault but there's. The more you blame yourself, the more painful it becomes.

Despite herself, M'gann had to admit he was right. Playing the blame game isn't what Willow needed. What did she need? Maybe a friend. M'gann could handle that.

They pulled into the driveway, and M'gann got nervous. She could only imagine how Willow's parents would react.

They got out of the car and walked up to the front door. She was glad it was a Saturday, they'd probably both be home. M'gann decided to let her Uncle J'onn do most of the talking. He rang the doorbell. A woman with reddish hair that was starting to gray opened the door.

"Hello," J'onn greeted. The woman greeted them back. M'gann hoped he wasn't too solemn for them. She did her best to smile, despite knowing it was not a happy occasion. "Are you Jessica Bates?"

"Yes," she answered. She looked a little confused. "Can I help you with something?"

"Actually, we're here to see you about Willow," J'onn informed her. His words seemed to strike a nerve in Mrs. Bates. M'gann saw the light leave her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Willow's been missing for four months," she said. She looked uncomfortable, and M'gann could tell she just wanted to close the door and for them to go away.

"We know, that's why we're here," M'gann said. "We found her, but we have to talk inside."

The woman's eyes were filled with disbelief and shock. She looked behind them, and around their car, looking for her daughter.

"Where is she? Can I see her?" she asked. "You'd better not be pulling some prank."

"We promise, it is not a prank," J'onn said. M'gann always thought his voice was calming. "But we should probably talk about this inside."