Chapter 27

.. -. - . .-. .-. --- --. .- - .

~~~

Dick's POV

Nine men laid unconscious on the warehouse floor. None of them were Jackson Bennett.

"What happened in here?" Kid Flash asked, gesturing to the scorch marks on the building. Several of the men had burns.

"I'm not sure," Dick admitted. He examined the scorch marks and the burned crates.

"It doesn't make sense," Artemis said. "Where did the fire even come from?"

"It wasn't started in one place," Dick answered. "It's like it was shot out, like a flamethrower."

"One of them could've had one and turned on the others," Artemis suggested. Dick looked at the unconscious men on the ground.

"No, there's no flamethrower in the building," Superboy said. "If Bennett had one, he's long gone by now."

"How did he even get away? We knew he would be here!" Robin exclaimed in frustration. "We were so close!"

"I guess he ditched as usual," Artemis remarked. "At least we have these guys."

"Artemis is right," Dick said encouragingly. He pointed to the tall, dark-haired man in the unconscious group of lackeys. "That's Grant Sloan. At least five of the Cadmus guards we have in custody confirmed him as a long-term mercenary for Cadmus. Even if we don't find Bennett, these guys probably have even more information on Hamilton than Bennett did."

"Guys, I found something!" Kid Flash exclaimed. Everyone ran to where he stood. He leaned down and picked up a small object. "It's a grenade, but it hasn't been detonated."

Artemis handed it to Dick, who examined the weapon. He looked at it closely, being careful not to set it off.

"Tear gas," he concluded. "Whoever brought it didn't have the chance to use it."

A grunt drew everyone's attention to the men in the middle of the warehouse. The Team approached as the men realized they were tied up and their weapons were nowhere to be seen. They looked at each other and the Team in frustration. They also seemed distant, as if they'd seen something they were still trying to forget. A tall man with dark skin spoke first.

"If you think we're gonna talk, you can-"

"All we wanna know is where Jackson Bennett is," Artemis interrupted. "Either way, you're going to jail. But unless you want your friend to go free while you're behind bars, you'll answer our questions."

"Bennett's nobody's friend, he never stays in one place long enough to make 'em," the man responded with a dark chuckle. "Makes plenty of enemies though."

"Where's Cadmus?" Nightwing asked impatiently. "We know you work for them. Tell us what you know about Dr. Hamilton, and we might be able to cut you a deal."

"You think I've not been through this shtick before?" he retorts. "I'll get out of this soon, and they'll still be far from your reach."

"Fine," Nightwing answered. "But your friends may have different opinions." Sloan glared at the others, a warning to remain silent. The other men looked at each other nervously, weighing the loyalty of their cohorts. Nightwing turned to Superboy and Robin. "Take Sloan outside. Don't let him out of your sight."

The heroes nodded and led Sloan away. When the three of them were outside, Nightwing turned back to the criminals.

"Now that your loudmouth leader is out of the way, you get to tell me what you know."