Chapter 31

-- . .-.. --- -.. -.--

~~~

"Can anyone tell me why language is so important in Grendel?" asks Mr. Devyn from the front of the classroom. Everyone glances at each other and the books on their desk, only half of which are open, including mine. Two kids raise their hands, and in a rare moment of nerve, I raise mine as well. Mr. Devyn notices and points to me and calls my name.

I hear a few students bite back groans and several sighs. Mr. Devyn gives them sideways glances, but doesn't acknowledge them otherwise. I take my phone from my desk and begin to type my answer. I try to be as quick as possible, but the question is already a difficult one.

I'm one of the few people allowed a phone in this class. While other teachers were more relaxed about cell phones than others, Mr. Devyn tends to fall on the stricter end of the spectrum. Only on rare occasions were phones required in class, and heaven forbid someone's phone go off in the middle of class. For me, obviously, the rules were a bit different. Considering my phone was one of my main forms of communication, even Mr. Devyn wasn't opposed to me having it out. Though I try to use the marker board when I can, it doesn't have enough room for my answer.

When I'm done, I play my words through my phone, and turn up the volume.

"The humans can understand each other, which lets them form connections. They can't understand Grendel, so Grendel is alone. He can't communicate with animals or humans, so he's stuck. The language barrier between him and everyone else keeps him from making lasting connections. Language is our main form of communication. If someone can't communicate the way people are used to, they tend to be ostracized. This is what happened to Grendel."

I close my phone and lay it back on desk. I turn to Mr. Devyn, who nods and says, "Very well said, Willow. Obviously you've been reading."

I quietly smile and listen as he continues to lecture about the symbolism and themes of Grendel as my mind begins to wander towards Blüdhaven again.

I still haven't managed to find a feasible way to get there and back without my parents noticing. I haven't even thought through what would happen in the event of my capture. And I have no way of knowing exactly how long I'd be gone.

It's become a near obsession. Any moment not spent on homework is spent on thoughts of the Cadmus facility in one of the most dangerous cities on the East Coast. It's like trying to piece together a puzzle with only half the pieces. It's driving me nuts not having an answer. I'm so close to my goal but so far from actually achieving it. Even when I try to force my mind to other matters, Blüdhaven always seems to lurk in the back of my mind.

___ 

"Do you want to grab something to eat before we go home?" Melony asks as we drive through town. I look around at the array of restaurants lining either side of the street. I shake my head and type on my phone.

"My mom's cooking tonight." I wait a moment before adding, "You can eat with us if you want."

"Thanks, but I have work tonight."

She turns the radio back up and we listen for several minutes before I turn it down again.

"Are you going to Bridgett's meet on Friday?"

Melony doesn't respond for a moment. Her hands grow tight on the steering wheel and her gaze intensifies on the road ahead.

"I can't," she answers shortly. She always gets short when I ask about Bridgett. They both get this way when I mention the other.