Chapter 33

-.- .. -.. -. .- .--. .--. . -..

~~~

I land in my room at 2:16. Later than usual, but this was not a usual night. I shake as I change into my pajamas and hide my suit. As I change, I examine myself for bruises and find several. I internally curse and jump back in bed.

My mind replays that moment again and again, trying to process. Nightwing knows who I am. Everything I feared is possible now. He could tell the Team, the League, or my parents. I tell myself it's still Nightwing, I can trust him. Still, the lingering paranoia doesn't go away.

My cheeks burn with anger aimed at myself. How could I let that happen? I almost escaped. If I had just flown away immediately instead of standing around like an idiot, I might have made it out without being discovered.

My anger burns out and I take a deep breath. I stare at my ceiling and somehow find my eyes flooded with tears. My vision blurs as they fall onto my cheeks.

His face lingers in my mind. His eyes widening in horror and confusion as he realized who I was. I try not to remember the way he said my name, the sound a knife in my stomach. I was afraid of anyone finding out, but I didn't know it would feel like this.

Eventually I stop crying and wipe away the traces of sadness from my face. I sit up and look out my window. The stars bring a little light back into my eyes. I remember Nightwing's last words to me.

It's perfect, he said. As I think about his words, and his infectious smile, I close my eyes and feel... light. Like a weight being lifted with every breath. Seeing him again makes me realize how lonely I've felt recently. I smile with a little pride knowing the Silent Phantom is no longer stuck in my own mind. Him knowing makes it feel more real.

I force myself to go to sleep knowing Nightwing will keep his promise. And I'll keep mine. I'll stay whelmed, if I can.

___

The week passes slowly. My classes feel like an eternity. Every time the bell rings at the end of the day, it feels like years have passed. The only solace is that I've gotten some decent sleep this week. I haven't snuck out since my encounter with Nightwing. Even my nightmares have been absent for the most part.

Mel approached me as soon as she saw me on Monday. I stiffened as I got my books out of my locker. I averted her gaze.

"Hey, Willow," she said casually. Her smile seemed genuine, but her eyes were apologetic. "Listen, about Friday. I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have snapped at you. If I were in your place, I'd probably do the same thing. But I shouldn't have been rude to you."

I nod, accepting her apology. I grab my marker board and write.

It's alright. I shouldn't be pushy. I'll let you and Bridgett figure your problems on your own time, in your own way.

"Thanks," Melony replied. We gave each other a knowing smile as we walked to first period.

It didn't take long for her and Bridgett to tense up again upon seeing each other. I declined from making them always hang out together. I divided my time between them, letting them have space to deal with their issues.

I turn to my mom, who picked me up from school today since she didn't have work. She rattled off her list of things I need to pack for this weekend. Tomorrow is Friday, and it can't come quick enough.

"Your toothbrush, notepad, phone charger, deodorant, an extra pair of shoes," she says as we pull into our driveway. "Am I forgetting something?"

"A chill pill?"