Chapter 9

I awake in the darkness thirsty for air yet again and begin to survey my surroundings more diligently. There is only a small amount of light to fill the room as it radiates from 3 large vanilla scented candles as they flicker away.

I am still in the large four poster bed that stands central to the room with the only exit being a doorway at the foot of the left side of the bed.

Another door is stationed to the right foot of the bed and I choose to stand and check where it may lead me. I open the white door to reveal a large bathroom decorated completely in white. A long vanity and mirror reaches across the entire left hand wall whilst at the very back wall there stands an old fashioned claw foot bathtub standing tall atop its own platform.

I feel a bead of sweat trickle down my spine and suddenly feel dirty. I decide that I should clean myself and hopefully think of some sort of plan on what I can do to get out of here and back to my brother. Also, any excuse to have an old fashioned bath sounds good to me.

I listen carefully for the sounds of Alex moving around outside the room but none are made apparent, so I begin to let the water fill up the bath.

Rummaging through the bathroom cupboards, I manage to find some bath soaps and oils and let my imagination run wild. I have not had a bath since I was a child and I guess this could be my last chance so I make sure that I use whatever I can find. If this is all I can do to escape the peril that I am in, then I should go all out and really please myself.

I pour the fragrant oils into the running water and watch them foam, before letting my night gown slide down my body and to the ground.

I notice my reflection in the large mirror as I pass it and begin to inspect my body wordlessly. I take in the sight of myself and notice that my long auburn hair has been combed neatly and left to fall where it pleases instead of being forced up into the usual ponytail in which it stays. I run my fingers through it and let it brush against my lower back as it almost touches the top of my bottom.

I search my body for cuts or marks of any kind but am surprised when all I come across is a few faint bruises that seem to be fading. How funny, they weren't there the other day when I was at home.

I forget myself along with everything else and slide into the bath, letting the bubbles caress my skin and bring me to a state of pure happiness.

I lose myself in ecstasy and begin to hum a song that my mother used to sing to me as a child. She always loved the songs from the 50's, so instead of lullabies I got Frank Sinatra, Elvis, Dean Martin and of course her very favourite, Billie Holiday.

I think back to when I was a child and let my voice hum the sweet song of 'Crazy He Calls Me' as the memories of my mother encase me.

...

"What song shall we sing tonight my love?" Her voice is tender and filled with affection as she tucks me into my bed ready for a night of dreams.

I think carefully and choose the one song that I know is both our favourites.

"Crazy he calls me."

She smiles at the strange way I say crazy and makes herself comfortable sitting at the edge of my bed.

My brothers are still playing in the lounge room and I hear them mucking about, but I know that it is past my bed time and I need a good night's sleep if I am to see Daddy in the morning.

"I say I'll move the mountains, and I'll move the mountains. If he wants them, out of the way," her voice serenades me and wraps me up in a cocoon of bliss as I watch her intently, "crazy he calls me, sure I'm crazy. Crazy in love, I say."