Chapter 26

Sage bursts through my door around 3pm with a small bag of hair clips and makeup, all of which has been found in the remains of the zone. She bails me up in a massive hug and holds on tight. I hug her back and we both stand in this embrace for a few moments before Sage breaks the silence.

"I missed you so much."

"I missed you too, Sage."

As we break our hold on each other I notice how watery Sage's eyes are and choose not to say anything. She is on the verge of tears as it is so instead we move on and head to the bathroom so that she can get to work on my hair.

She runs her hands gently through my hair, toying with it almost as if she is frightened to say what is on her mind. Her fingers twirl my auburn locks around and a sudden feeling of dejavu sets in. Why does this seem so familiar?

"Is everything ok Sage?" I turn to face her and smile sweetly to show her that she has my support to speak her mind.

"I just want to say I am sorry that I didn't come to see you straight away but mother asked me to give you some space and time to rest." She speaks softly with her head down as though she is afraid I will not accept her apology.

"It's ok Sage. You're here now. That's all that matters."

She wraps her arms gently around me and holds me in a tight embrace for a few more seconds before letting go and breathing a sigh of relief. I stifle a giggle and retake my seat in front of the bathroom mirror so she can get started.

She pulls out a paddle brush from her bag of tricks and begins to brush my hair softly whilst she decides which way she should style it. I let her have full control over that side of things, partly because I am not too fussed with how it looks and partly because I only know two hairstyles; down and up in a ponytail.

"Have you met your soon to be husband yet?" I know it will make her happy if I ask so I put on a brave face and bear it.

"Well, mother chose two perspective young men. I met Walter just the other day and I will be meeting Dimitri tonight. Mother is actually letting me chose between the two even though it is clear that she likes Walter better. I think it's because he was born in England too." She giggles like a school girl and I can't help but smile. Her innocence and sincerity is a rare commodity in this day and age.

"Dimitri, eh? My guess is Russian?" I say with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah. I have seen him around and he is so handsome. I have to give mother my answer in the morning so she can set the arrangements." Her face is gleaming but her voice drips with uncertainty and I know she is nervous. I am nervous for her.

"I'm sure both would make great husbands Sage." I place a reassuring hand over hers and she lets out a sigh and begins pulling my hair back and pinning it with an array of clips that she has been given to her over the years.

"What about you? I heard that your uncle James will finally introduce you to the man he wants you to marry."

I stare up at her bewildered.

"Who?"

"Maxim. His Father was the once head of the KGB and he still has a lot of pull with your Uncle and the rest of the council. Maxim is actually Dimitri's cousin so we could be related!" Her joy for the situation is wasted on me but like a good friend I put on a fake smile. "Have you seen him around? He is such a hottie. You will love him."

"No, I didn't even know his name until just now." I didn't even know he existed until just now. I hide my true thoughts but manage to keep an optimistic smile gleaming across my lips for Sage's sake.