Chapter 21

The moon rises slowly beyond the hills of the distant countryside as we drive toward our goal. I now have a name; Cail. I am being taken to Cail and that is all I know. I am too scared to ask Alex who Cail is let alone even speak to him. Our drive has been filled with nothing but silence as we move through the darkened streets.

I try to hide my emotions from him and make sure that there is no way that we are touching. I don't want him to hear my thoughts and I certainly don't want him to know what I am feeling.

Why does he care so much about what happens to me? He didn't when we first met but it seems the more time we are spending together, the more that he is changing and the more I am being drawn to him.

Maybe it's all in my head. Maybe this is just the after effects of the blood bond being sealed. All I know for sure is that I am confused as hell with everything that is going on in my life. Alex, his actions, my reactions and most of all, my emotions. I am in a constant struggle to understand even the easiest of notions.

What is going on with me?

I close my eyes and try to close the book on these irrational thoughts. Leave them for another day, if I have one left that is.

I again think about this Cail person. Why does he want to meet me so bad and why is Alex worried about taking me there? Will Cail kill me?

The thought of death and never seeing my brother again allows tears to build up in my eyes. I stifle a sniffle and bat my eyelids hoping to disguise the onset tear flow that wish to be seen.

Alex glances my way but says nothing. Somehow I don't think he knows what to say.

Our silence continues on while I play with my shirt's hem yet again until suddenly Alex chooses to break the quiet.

"Well the sun has long since set, so it's almost time."

"Time for what?" I stare at him cautiously.

"We are about 45 minutes away, maybe 30 if I really speed the rest of the way." He is being deliberately cryptic.

I wait for an explanation but it is clear I won't be getting one.

Looking out the window I can tell for sure that we have left what was formally known as Russia and can only guess we are in a bordering country, perhaps Ukraine. Even though we now call what is beyond our walls Zone Zero, I still take solace in calling our capital Moscow every now and then as a sort of tribute to the fallen capital city it once was.

Just because the world has changed doesn't mean that our history should as well.

"We are here." Alex states as we turn into a driveway that is shadowed by trees. In the distance I can just make out a house but as the car inches closer and comes to a halt I am met with a colossal mansion standing tall amongst the overgrown garden. The windows of the house reach both floor and ceiling and stand ready to let the sunlight of a new day in to illuminate its world.

It stands tall amongst this sea of trees that hide it from everyone but those who know of its existence. Everything about this place screams lost treasure as I try to take in every nook and cranny. It is spectacular.

I gasp to myself as I exit the car and a sudden cold wind blows through me. I hug my bare arms and wish that I had one more layer to keep out the cold. Without a word Alex is beside me draping a large black coat over my shoulders with a gentle smile across his face.

I look up at him graciously and give off the same smile. He then walks ahead and opens the front door to this amazing house. I still don't understand, why are we here?