Chapter 35

We run down the corridor as i listen out for any signs of Alex. As we run past a large metal door i feel a rush of pain and stop in my tracks.

"In here." I call to Logan and begin trying to open the door.

It is locked with the only way to get in being a swipe card.

"Good thing i stole this from our friend Max back there." Logan produces a small square of plastic and with a single swipe, the door swings open.

We rush inside and are met with a long narrow corridor filled with metal doors that all lead to small single cells. Each door has the tiniest of peep holes to see whats inside and we make quick work of checking each one.

Each cell holds a starved vampire wearing next to nothing except their sunken skin as it clings to their bones like latex. They recoil at the sound of our footsteps and its clear that they have been here for far too long.

"What have they done to them?" Logan asks but i don't have an answer for him.

Alex. Are you here?

Evie?

I am elated at the sound of his voice in my head and begin searching faster and faster. Logan must know that I have made some sort of discovery as he follows my lead and quickens the pace.

Where are you Alex?

Is that you, Evie? His voice is faint as I fly through the hallway hoping each cell belongs to him.

"Alex? Where are you?" I call out as I continue checking each cell as quick as i can.

Finally I come to his cell. I look inside through the peep hole and am disgusted to see Alex kneeling on the floor wearing only his pants, handcuffed and chained to the floor.

"Alex!"

Swiping the card and pulling the door aside, I burst into the room and throw my arms around him as he tries to do the same but I feel him wince from the movement.

I pull myself away and look down at his hurt body as it is marked with various cuts and burns that don't seem to be healing.

"Oh my god. What did they do to you?" I begin checking each of his wounds to find that they have all stopped bleeding but are healing much slower than usual.

"I'm not healing at my normal rate." His voice is labored as he speaks and I try to hush him to save his energy.

Logan is standing over us with his eyes gapping as he finally sees what Uncle James has been doing to Alex and others like him.

"Uncle James told me he was dead." Logan mutters under his breath and I choose to ignore it.

Logan is obviously worried at the sight of Alex and I don't have time to baby my brother into getting over what he is seeing. He will have to do that on his own.

I look around at Alex's silver plated chains and see that they are all padlocked to the ground along with his handcuffed hands. The silver is beginning to sear into his flesh as I can only imagine the pain comes less and less bearable.

"Logan, we need to find the key." I gaze up at him with worry plastered across my face and he takes action as quickly as possible by running out the door to find the way to unlock the shackles.

"Evie, I'm sorry I couldn't protect you." Alex mutters barely audible.

"It's ok. Im fine. A few war wounds but nothing that won't heal. At least I'll have some cool scars to show off." I laugh the fact that I was shot twice off and pretend as though I haven't felt the pain of the bullet holes throb each and every second since they happened. It's amazing how your mind can almost erase the pain you feel when you have bigger things to worry about.