Chapter 28

I glide up the stairs and marvel at the attention to detail with every step that I take. I pass each theatre box and gape at the perfection of the red velvet drapes that are set to provide privacy. Each are pulled back and tied by a golden tassel as it hangs down almost touching the floor.

I walk along, looking into each box and try to picture how amazing it must have been to sit in these seats and watch amazing artists revel in their craft. It must have been magical to live in a time where the opera was a regular sight to see.

I come to the very last box and take a step inside. I take a seat and look down on the musicians as they play in harmony. They play songs that I have never heard and may never hear again. But then again I suppose that if I marry Maxim I will be asked to join these types of soirees all the time. I recall my Uncle once saying that Ivor is getting ready to stand down and hand his seat in the council to his son. I guess he means to Max.

I lean over against the bannister and lose myself with the music as a stray tear decides to fall.

What am I supposed to do? Every fiber in my being tells me to fight and to not be just another pawn in my Uncle's political agenda, but for some reason a small part of me says that its ok to conform if it means that I will be able to begin a family of my own and give to my children what my mother gave to me; her unconditional love.

Maybe my Uncle is right. Maybe it is time for me to settle down and except that this is what my future has to offer me now. At least I will be able to have children that I can teach what I know and give them everything I have. I will protect them and show them all that I can in this world. They will never fear that they are unloved or unwanted and I will be happy knowing that I am their mother.

Maybe Max is a great person and he can love me the way my father loved my mother. Maybe we can have a life full of love and respect the way that a marriage should be. Maybe I will be happy.

But then again, maybe not.

I wipe away another stray tear and decide to face my fate. Uncle James will keep trying to marry me off until I finally succumb, so why not now. Why not with Max? He is handsome and seems kind and fair and as long he treats me well, I can be happy. So what if I barely know him, I can learn more about him as we go. We can learn to love each other and be happy together.

I trick myself into thinking that I want this and stand ready to head back to the table before I come to my senses.

I will do what I am told and be a good wife to Max and a good mother to our children. It is what a girl of my station has to do nowadays and I must accept that.

I turn on my heel quickly only to be met with the security guard that was staring down at me earlier. His face feels somehow familiar as his piercing blue eyes fixate themselves on me, eyeing me up and down as though he knows all of my deepest secrets.

"Hello Evie." His voice is soft like silk as he mutters the simplest of words and I am shocked at how much his voice puts me at ease. Who is this man?

"I'm sorry, have we met?" I am courteous to him but I know that I would have remembered if I ever met this man. Those eyes are definitely something I would never forget.

"You could say that." He smiles coyly sending a strange twist in my heart.

"So we have met?"

"Would you like to meet again?" His face is bright with a cheeky grin as he tries to push my buttons and evade my questions.

He is cryptic for no apparent reason and I begin to feel my patience wear thin.

"Well I have to get back to my table." I turn to walk around him but he stops me, blocking my path.

I feel my blood begin to boil as I stare up at his perfect face. If it is a fight he is looking for I am more than happy to ruin this dress with the blood that will splatter from his broken nose. I am in no mood to deal with someone who needs a good punch in the face.

I stare up at him and now that I am up close, I can truly see him. His eyes seem tired and worn almost like he hasn't slept for days but he still looks as though he is having the time of his life. How could someone have so much audacity to be so coy with someone that doesn't even know who they are? Is this a game or some trick? This guy has probably never even met me.

Suddenly all playfulness leaves his face and the entire mood around him gets serious.

"Evie, I need you to remember. You're not safe if you don't know what you're up against." He brings his hand up to my face and strokes my cheek and I find myself stepping back out of his reach and dodging around him to make a break for the exit.

I have no idea who this man is but I need to be away from this situation. Maybe he has me confused? But how does he know my name?

I hurry away from him while I have the chance and look behind me after I pass three opera boxes only to see no one there. He has gone.

Where the hell did he go?

I slow my pace and walk backwards for a few steps before giving up on the thought of this strange man and turn back the right way. I take a few more steps still looking back until I bump face first into a man's chest.

I take a step back ready to apologize but am face to face with the very same man that was behind me just a second ago.

I look around for an explanation but there is no way that he could be in front of me so quickly.

I step back cautiously and watch as desperation begins to fill his face.

"Evie please. I thought you would be safer not knowing, but you're not." He pleads with me to understand but anxiety begins to send quivers throughout my body. Who is this man?

"I don't know you. I'm sorry but you have me confused with someone else." I am purposely cold as I again try to walk away but this time as I pass him he grabs my arm holding me in place before pulling me close to him.

He slides his hands down my arms and grabs hold of my wrists. I try to step away from him but end up backing myself up against the wall.

His eyes fixate on mine as he stares me down making my emotions fluctuate between fear and acceptance. Something in my being is telling me that I should trust this man and that I am safe but I still don't even know who he is.

I need you to remember. The familiar voice whispers again and I immediately recognize the voice in my head to be that of this mans. But how can that be? How is he in my head?

Fear tries to fall over me but something inside me is telling me not to be afraid.

He stares into my eyes for the longest moment before pressing his lips against mine with such determination that I forget where I am and just let him kiss me. His kiss is full of passion as though I were his long lost love and for some reason I can't help but get swept away. The sensation of it all is overwhelming as he brings his hands to my face and holds them against my temples.

I lose myself as he invades my mouth with his, making everything around me disappear. Everything but the question of who is this man.

Before I forget where I am completely, I push him away and break free from his hold and hastily make a break back to the table and the rest of the guests.

I dare not look back, scared that he might follow me once more.

What on earth was that all about? He sure did go to some length just to steal a kiss.

I'm sorry for this. Again the voice sounds. I must be going insane.