Chapter 39

It is a cloudy day and we are back in the car as soon as possible. We have all managed to rest up and get some things together before we head out into the wide world that lays ahead of us.

Alex continues to drive with one hand on the wheel whilst the other is tangled through his shaggy hair. I can't help but giggle at the sight.

Logan is quiet and does nothing but stare out the window. I can only guess that he is thinking about what happens now.

We drive all through the day and into the night with barely any words shared between us.

I fall asleep just as it goes dark and when I wake Logan is driving and I have been moved to the back seat. I lay on the edge of sleep ready to doze off again as Logan strikes up a conversation with Alex.

"There's something I need to know. What happened when Evie went missing? Where was she?" His concern is audible and so is the sigh that Alex gives off.

"She was captured by some vampires and taken to a small underground city where they planned on selling her in an auction as a slave."

"Did you buy her?" Logan sounds appalled at hearing how it works in the vampire world.

"No. Someone found out who your Uncle was and brought her to me. I was supposed to take her to our leader Cail, but I decided against that. Instead we drove around in a circle and I brought her home to you. It's what she wanted."

"And what did you want?"

"I wanted her to stay with me but she wouldn't have been safe." He sounds melancholy as he divulges the truth to my brother.

"And what do you want now?"

"Her to be safe."

"You're in love with her aren't you?" Logan's voice sounds as though he already knows the answer.

"Yeah. Is it that obvious?"

"Just a little."

"Is that ok with you? Me being in love with your sister, i mean. I know she is the only family you have left." Alex's question hangs thickly in the air as we both wait for Logan's reply.

"As long as you dont hurt her or break her heart then it's all ok with me. I can tell she loves you too."

A stifled laugh is let off from Alex and i can picture his beaming smile touching his lips.

"I could never do anything to hurt her. I couldn't handle to see her suffer."

"Yeah. That and she would kick your ass for trying. She may not look it but she is pretty tough. She has me to thank for that."

Logan's laughter fills the car as I rouse completely and sit up yawning making my appearance known.

"Morning sleepy head. We decided to just keep driving. It's almost morning." Logan acts as though nothing was just said and goes on believing that his laughter woke me up.

I mentally shake my head and look over to Alex as he stares at me curiously.

You heard all of that didn't you?

All of what? I play dumb and smile innocently.

Alex chuckles and turns to face the road again.

...

We stop to fill the fuel tank up at an abandoned petrol station and I take this time to stretch my legs. Logan chooses to vacate the driver's seat and slide into the back once more to sprawl across the seats in hope of letting sleep come to him.