73: every day*

毎日

"Toothbrush?"

"In."

"Toothpaste?"

"In."

"Mouthwash?"

"I will not use your rose-scented mouthwash, Shii-chan. It might smell nice after you use it, but it tastes like horse breath while you are using it. So no, no thank you." She retorted firmly, leaving no room for argument or negotiation.

"Rose-scented mouthwash?" Haru repeated, eye wide as he swung his baffled gaze from her to Shiori. "Where do you even get something like that?"

Shiori rolled her eyes exasperatedly at Haru idly lounging on the porch, head propped up on the single stair that levelled the porch while the rest of his body was draped on the paved path leading up to the house. He had joined them only twenty minutes earlier, claiming he wanted to spend a few last moments with Pai before she left. Although really, all he did was poke fun at Shiori, to the point that she'd thrown her shoe at him twice already. She'd missed, and Haru's teasing slowed, but only after Shiori threatened to snitch on him next time she saw him anywhere near the kitchen.

Unsurprisingly, the threat put the fear of the underworld into him. Whenever Obaasan actually caught him sneaking into the kitchen and he couldn't deny the charges, she dragged him off somewhere by the ear. After that, Haru tended not to resurface for a day or two. No one knew exactly what Obaasan did to him. He wasn't exactly forthcoming with any information about it.

She couldn't tell if it was embarrassment that held his tongue, or if he was genuinely afraid of what punishment she gave him for trying to steal food. All he'd ever say was that it was down to the 'dungeons' (more like cells that were hidden beneath Ayashi House, kept in case any unwelcome visitors dared to come uninvited to the house).

She had never been down there before. She wasn't sure Shiori had either, since she never talked about it and always seemed a bit confused whenever someone – namely Ryu – asked where Haru had been. But she couldn't imagine Obaasan would keep him locked up there, or that he would actually stay until she released him.

"Don't underestimate the things Kanou-san can get with those trader connections of his. Remember that jade water? He got it from a Chinese Ookami. A Chinese Ookami," she repeated, as if the two before her were deaf and the information needed reiterating.

Why does she find that so surprising? Ayakashi exist everywhere, under different names. In the West, fallen angels are Tengu...Greek gods are simple Kamigami parading around as more than they are...werewolves are just Ookami...witches and wizards are Onmyoji...

Maybe it's because we've grown up all our lives thinking Ayakashi are just Japanese? She offered in sweet sarcasm.

Maybe you've been taught the wrong things growing up? Kuniumi returned in a heartbeat. You wouldn't know if you had, would you? Not unless you were told, and even then, how could you trust what you're being told is the truth and not just another figment of a lie?

Her lips twitched in irritation at Kuniumi's win.

"And Pai-chan, how would you even know what that tastes like?" Shiori huffed as she struck the item from the paper she held in her hands listing every possible thing Pai could need for the 'trip'. "Okay, what about your ring?"