Chapter 2

I shuddered under the weight of its presence and used my remaining energy to turn my head towards the being, trying to focus on it. My senses were going haywire. Its form seemed to be towering over me and there was too much movement going on behind its back, like whipping ropes or snakes. My head was pounding and my hearing was scattered. I could barely keep myself from passing out. Its metallic voice seared across my mind, soundless but frightening.
    You trespassed. It spoke into my mind above the crushing intensity of inflicted sound.
    Now you must... It paused and I felt the vibrations in the ground as it took a step forward.
    Die.
    There was little emotion in the voice that reverberated in my mind. It only sounded menacing and cold. There was no monologue or explanation; it simply started to bend down. The snake-like movement changed from a concentration at its back to a maddening mess in front of it. The appendages wrapped around my body, harshly constricting the resistance out of my muscles. They tightened and pulled my weight upwards. I panicked as I felt the ground leave me. I was suspended in front of the being, held and bound by shifting rope-like limbs. I heard a repulsive ripping sound from where the being stood. This was one time I was glad I couldn't see.
    The tentacle-like limbs began to seriously constrict. One around my neck cut off my air supply while the ones around my chest shrunk the space between my ribs. I couldn't breath, couldn't struggle free, and couldn't even talk. I was in so much pain.
    As my lungs burned and ribs felt like cracking, I felt a heat rise in my gut. My consciousness was fading quickly and I began to feel the limbs trying to pull my body apart. The same feeling of darkness washed through my body along with a strong sense of fear and self-preservation. Immediately, the strange sound and mental pain the creature caused was wiped clean. The startling absence of sound calmed me even as the creature's limbs tightened. I suddenly had absolute mental clarity and focus.
    I released the power I had held back for weeks. The same dark power that I had always carried erupted from my center, pushing the creature and its many limbs away from me. I gasped the beloved air as I fell to the ground heaving in oxygen. The shadows sharpened around me and whirled in a sickening protective manner around my shaking form. I struggled to a standing position, still loudly breathing in air. I was barely able to stand as the wind picked up and my body shook with channeled power. The funnel of dark energy circled high and expanded outwards. The outer ring of the energy focused into sharp glass-like shards of blackness.
    I felt the creature stumble backwards as the biting darkness swirled closer. The violent presence in front of me emitted a strong emotion of... surprise? Respect perhaps? I couldn't really tell. The being had a strong aura around it that I found impossible to read accurately. It seemed to be momentarily shocked at my resistance though. Now was my chance. I knew I couldn't keep the power with me for long, not after weeks of disuse.
    "Back off!" I yelled over the wind as the power radiated outwards. My fear had morphed into intense anger and confusion. The shadows swelled with power and made an unbreakable barrier between the being and me. "I'm sorry I entered your woods!" I felt the power reach its peak as it swirled around me, keeping everything away. "I'm sorry for trespassing!" I called out in the general direction of the being. "I just needed somewhere to stay! All that my last victim had was a tent!" I yelled, feeling a hint of desperation. Even with this display of power, I didn't know how to use it as a weapon. Well, not against this creature. I couldn't seem to focus the shadows to attack the being like the many humans I had encountered; the darkness was just forming a defensive wall around my small body.
    I tried to look directly at the creature and felt my anger wane. "I was just passing through." I sucked in some more air, still breathless from the sudden attack. "Please understand, I didn't mean to come here." I waited, feeling the individual ponder my words. However, its intentions were still heavily shielded and I didn't know if my words changed anything. "I didn't even know this was your territory. Just please let me pass." I called tiredly, trying to act like I can make eye contact. When no immediate response came, my knees buckled and I crumpled to the earth. I had never used so much power at once. The shadows were withering with the energy I had given them, collapsing in on themselves as my energy ran out. The wind stilled and the night returned to a normal darkness. I absentmindedly wiped some drying liquid from under my nose, fighting off the swell of tiredness that threatened to consume me.
    I felt the presence... think? Though still grating against my mind, its voice no longer inflicted the searing pain or noise like earlier.
    'Last victim'... It repeated and seemed to consider something. Its mind focused on my clothes. I felt it sense something on them. Perhaps it saw the dried blood from the kill earlier.
    Without warning, I felt the being's presence invade my mind. I gasped and sat roughly on the ground, using my palms to brace myself against the dirt. It invaded but did not inflict any unnecessary pain. I was so drained from my near-death experience and release of power that I couldn't fight the silent interrogation. Its focus swept across my thoughts, memories, and emotions. I groaned and clutched my head as it delved deeper into my memories, searching.
    Abruptly, everything stopped. The being's presence shifted back to his form and became much... smaller. It became less threatening and more open. Its voice, though still vibrating in my skull, was gentle compared to earlier.
    I must...  it seemed to be searching for a word it rarely used, apologize.
    I should have discovered what you were before attacking.  It paused and knelt down to my height.
    You should not be in these woods. However, you are obviously superior to humans. He seemed decide something in that moment.
    You are like us. You belong with us. He muttered.
    "Us?" I croaked out, cocking my head in his direction to show I was paying attention.
    Us killers. We stay together. I command many of them. In return for being my 'proxies' they are given protection, shelter, food, and belonging of a sort. They are allowed to come and go as they please, as long as they follow the rules and eliminate whom I instruct them to.
    I felt that if I could see his face, he'd be smiling slightly. Not in the comforting way but in a reluctant prideful way.
    You would belong. I offer this to you in replacement of your elimination.
    I thought about it for a second, considering. I hadn't been with other people in a very long time. I often lose control of my abilities. Other's minds are often annoying and I hate pity. But then again, my only other option seemed to be death. I turned my head to face the creature.
    "What makes you think I'd belong?" I asked quietly.
    _____ _____. I flinched at hearing my full name, a name I hadn't heard in years.
    Age 4 when you developed love of darkness and an interest in death. Age 10 when your parents gave you up to government out of fear of you. Age 16 when you were purposefully blinded in an experiment. Age 18 when you broke out of facility and survived on your own. Age 20 when you sensed my presence before I wanted you to and stalled your death. You are not very different when compared to the others I live with.
    And about your gift, I will help you control it and develop it.
    I thought about his offer for a few seconds. I still get to kill, I may improve my ability, and I get a sort of sanctuary with others like myself. I thought about my earlier encounters with people. If they find out I'm blind and scarred... if they even think about taking pity...
    "May I keep the mask?" I asked hesitantly, staring up to where I thought his face would be.
    Yes. He responded, almost with a hint of ... humor?
    "Then I accept your offer." I declared quietly.
    Then follow me.

——————————————————————
Lil-magpie
Deviant Art