Chapter 5

Something was poking into my back. I groaned and shifted to avoid the pressure.
     The annoying object shoved harder into my shoulder blade. I gasped and jumped up, positioning myself to face the source of the obnoxious pressure. I sent out my hearing and felt two presences before me. Where the hell was I? What is going on? I muddled through my memories before realization dawned on me. I was a... proxy in a mansion with other killers... hmmm.
     "So this is the new kid?" A new male voice asked like I wasn't there. He sounded judgmental. I immediately disliked his demeanor. My face fell into a deep scowl.
     "Yep! That's ________!" Jeff's voice sounded from the other side of the room. The male in front of me extended his arm and poked his finger into my shoulder. The pressure caused one of my many bruises to ignite with new pain. I cringed back in an attempt to lessen the aching pain.
     "Fuck off." I snarled before swatting his hand away. His skin felt cold and... clammy? Or perhaps it was sort of wet? In the moment of contact I received a flash of intense pain in my chest. Like not being able to breath. I quickly analyzed his presence. He felt twitchy and... green? This must be one of the video game players from earlier.
     "Hey! Temper, temper!" He exclaimed, a smile growing in his voice. "Hey Jeff, you see under the mask yet?" He asked over his shoulder, like I wasn't there again. A wave of defensiveness flowed through me as he mentioned my mask. My fingers trailed up and brushed against the mask, making sure it was in place.
     "Nope. Don't try. __________'s a pretty good fighter." Jeff laughed from his side of the room, shifting around. "Breakfast will be ready soon." He said happily before scooting out the door, leaving me with this annoyance.
     "Name's BEN kiddo." He said matter-of-factly. I grimaced at the name 'kiddo.' He paused and I sensed his hand was being held out for me to... shake? It felt like he was mocking me. I felt wary about touching him again and I would probably miss if I tried to shake his hand.
     "Hi." I mumbled as I backed up in my bed, avoiding the hand. I went to the side and slipped down to the ground, brushing my clothing down. "Nice to meet you." I said lightly while trying to act like I was making eye contact.
     "Come on, let's get something to eat." He said without a drop of anger from my avoiding him. He reached out and grabbed my arm, tugging me along. Before I knew, I was being dragged down the hall to a much larger room. The scent of milk, eggs, and toast filled my nose as we pushed through the double doors into what I assumed was the kitchen.
     There were quite a few presences in the room, all coming and going. Some were off to the sides, while others were already departing. A large number of them were gathered in the middle of the room, probably at a large dining table. Some were at the sides, where the sounds of sizzling and feeling of heat resonated.
     A wave of anxiety went through my body. There were so many, and they were slowly stopping their conversations and looking around. I felt the urge to bolt for the door, but BEN's hand around my upper arm reminded me to stay put. I could feel the stares, the evaluations. It was entirely overwhelming.

——————————————————————
Lil-magpie
Deviant Art