Chapter 16

I could leave right now. I could. I could use a flash of darkness, leap through the inferno, and be on my way. I could abandon them all.
      It would be so easy.
      --
      Too easy.
      Without a monologue of thought or voice, I took another step forward and raised my hands. By now, part of the house's roof was alight, the nearest trees were being consumed, and the air was thick with smoke. For some reason, knowing that made me feel afraid. On some level, I really didn't want this house to go up in flame... this home to be burned down. With that decision, I clenched my outstretched fingers into fists. I ignored the fear that washed though me at the thought of using the power.
      A rush of heat leaped up my insides that rivaled the burning temperature of the surrounding hell. Power flowed through every nerve, every muscle. I released the darkness in one burst.
      Just like the campfire when I killed that first couple I met in the woods, the surrounding flames were snuffed out by the surge of shadows. The fire's energy was smothered as every shadow leapt up and crashed down. The world around me was plunged into a misty darkness. One by one, the diminishing flames were swallowed by the clinging shadows.
      A wave of new smoke flowed through the valley as the flames were quenched; making many of the proxies behind me cough anew. The smoke was quickly cleared as the darkness began swirling around my form with the power I had given it. A steady wind built up and dust was thrown into the air, mixing with the thinning smoke and jet-black shadows.
      I staggered as all my energy was leached from my body by the darkness. Every fire in the entire forest had been smothered, but I couldn't seem to shut off the power once I let it go. A gasp ripped through my lips as my knees buckled, making me crumble to the ground into a kneeling position. My head felt like it was splitting open, making me lose further control. A very real fear inched through my mind. I had already lost control but... what if I hurt the people behind me?
      The darkness was still strong, looking for the threat – the reason it was conjured. In response to my fear, it sharpened into vicious shards of black matter. They sped up, slicing through the air and surrounding objects. Like splinters of obsidian, they flung deep cuts into trees, earth, and air.
      The storm of debris and dark shards expanded towards the once-hostile presences of the other proxies. My memories were muddled as I recalled their distrust and anger towards me previously. It felt like a fog had come over me, distorting my thoughts and evoking old feelings of inadequacy, hatred, and failure.
      I felt their muscles tense up as they stumbled away from the sharpened shadows, footfalls rebounding vibrations through the dirt. They were yelling something, but I couldn't hear them clearly. Someone cried out as the shadows backed him against the house. It sounded like... like a person named... named Jeff?
      Jeff.
      That person... I know... I know him.
      Instantly, I somehow gathered the will to force the shadows to implode, curling towards my own body. I dragged the threatening mass closer to my frame. I couldn't let it hurt them. I just couldn't. Tears were streaming under my mask as I pulled the darkness flush to my body, unable to stop it but unwilling to let it hurt anyone else. The black glass bits stung as they once again sliced through my skin in thin cuts. I shuddered at the inflicted pain, wishing I could turn the power off. The backlash sent my mind reeling with strange flashes of power, pain, and emotion.
      Not long after, my energy dwindled enough so the darkness loosened and then dropped altogether. I was conscious of the shadows shrinking back to their proper places behind trees and in the ground. The power left with the darkness, clearing my head of the confusing feelings and allowing some clarity.
      I was still on my knees, facing the - now burnt - forest. My back was to the others and their - now safe - home. I let out a shaky breath and felt the new stings of the slim cuts flash up my body. Great. Now I needed another set of clothing I thought tiredly.
      I wanted nothing more than to fall into dreamless sleep. I was so tired, so cold, and so... empty.
      All I wanted to do was sleep.
      The pounding of feet approaching my form convinced me to move, irrational fright inching back into my mind. The vibrations were strong and reminded of me of Jeff's chase when he snapped. I tried to leap to my feet, but stumbled over my legs and collapsed to the side, putting an arm up in the direction of the person approaching for protection. My mind was so muddled and tired, I couldn't tell who the person was.
      Whoever it was fell to their knees too and wrapped their arms around my shaking body, tightening protectively around my shoulders and waist. Their face was pressed into the side of my hoodie and neck, warm breath ghosting into the material. They relaxed into me, mind opening up in a glow of... something.
      "Why didn't you tell me?" Jeff mumbled into the cloth, tightening his lanky arms around my body. "_______..." He muttered my name, lifting his head in an attempt to look at me.
      His hand lifted till it was under my mask and began to push the wooden disk up from my face.
      I quickly caught his wrist and pushed it back down and away from my face. I couldn't deal with this right now.
      All I wanted was sleep.
      "Jeff... I'm so tired." I told him, foggy with energy loss. I could feel the others gathered around us, but I couldn't feel what they were thinking. Everything was moving so slowly, so murky. I couldn't keep rooted in reality, everything was blurring.
      "Jeff... promise me. Promise you won't look under... the clothes and mask... Not like this." I asked with a strain to my voice.
      "But-" He started but I quickly cut him off.
      "Promise." I asked with more certainty, trying to stay in the present. "Just for one day." I added wearily, compromising.
      "Ok... I promise." He mumbled, arms slinking under my body. I flinched slightly at the contact but he continued and gently hoisted my frame into his arms. The haze was closing in around me, my eyelids heavy and muscles slack. My mind was slowing and I barely registered his last words before blacking out.
      "__________, you can trust me."

——————————————————————
Lil-magpie
Deviant Art