Chapter 23

"Hey, long time, no see?" A voice piped up at breakfast a few days later. The smell of candy and... plastic wafted from the voice's origin. I turned to my left, searching the cheery mind that was there.
      "Yeah..." I replied.
      "Laughing Jack, at your service!" He said happily, scooting his chair a little closer. "Last time I saw you, you were chucking knives in the dirt!" He laughed loudly, causing vibrations to spread through the air. "You really had us going with that whole weak trick! But I heard what you did with that forest fire." His voice dropped, elbow nudging my side. I bent away from the contact and stiffened, unused to this one's presence. He was even creepier than the rest.
      "Yeah _____, I bet Jeff that you wouldn't last the first week." Another voice called out from across the table, muffled by something metallic. "I lost twenty waffles on that bet." He said dismally. I laughed nervously, unsure about these new people.
      "So worth it." Jeff muttered from my right side, laughing softly.
      I vaguely remembered these other killers appearing at the house around the time I arrived, probably for the only purpose of checking out the newbie. But they had quickly dispersed after watching me fail over and over again, going back to their lives outside the house. I hadn't felt their presences since then.
      Why were they suddenly showing up at the house?
      Why were they here?
      "Hey _______! Congrats on your kill a few nights ago, we saw the remains on the news." BEN called from the other room, pride coloring his voice like he was partly responsible.
      "Thanks." I mumbled, bending my head down. There were so many more presences; the house was nearly overflowing with them. There weren't enough rooms in this house, so many of them were crashing on couches, floors, etc. They had been arriving all week, staying in the area as if waiting for something... I could tell from there minds it wasn't a happy visit and that it didn't involve me.
      So then, why were they here?
      A presence I recognized suddenly teleported into the room, releasing a large amount of energy.
      Thank you all for answering my call. Slenderman said into all out our minds, reverberating with barely masked power. The voices at the table immediately quieted.
      For those wondering what is happening, know that it will all come to light soon. He informed us vaguely, walking pass the table. His presence was commanding and dark, like he was anticipating something grave.
      A known threat might be approaching. I ask that you stay the week as a precaution. If you notice anything amiss in the forest or surrounding towns, inform me. He asked, mind strict and severe.
      I will be stopping in more frequently until this threat passes. Hopefully... it will never reach us.
      His presence suddenly vanished, whisked away to somewhere else. The table was much quieter now, hushed by the recent news. I could tell many already knew of this supposed threat. I must admit, I sort of knew about it after eavesdropping a few weeks ago but had nearly forgot about it. If Slenderman was talking about the same threat... that means whatever may be approaching set that terrible forest fire... and we may have a snitch in our midst.
      It was nerve-wracking to think about. It felt like I had just found this home, so the idea of it being threatened was very unsettling. The rush of defensive anger that ran through my mind surprised me, startling myself into reflection. I must truly like it here. It's final. This is my home. I was invited here, I was accepted here, I defended this place – I will not let it be destroyed. Not ever.
      My strangely possessive tangent of thought was interrupted as the talking in the room picked up, people getting up to clean their dishes.
      "What is the threat?" Someone asked harshly.
      "We're not entirely sure." Masky whispered, chair scraping against the floor.
      "Well, what do you think it is?" A feminine voice asked.
      Their conversation dissolved into a collective apprehension and mystery. Their voices argued and squabbled among themselves, slowly grouping off and leaving the dining area. I pulled myself up and strode to the sink, putting my dish in the water to soak.
      One week... then, hopefully, they'd leave once more...

——————————————————————
Lil-magpie
Deviant Art