17. Protection

The air was starting to cool, the warm day coming to an end and Norah tried to hide herself in Rylan's back, escaping the roaring wind.

Rylan had wasted no time dragging her out of the house, she had wanted to stay and grab some things but he promised they would come back tomorrow. At that moment, he just wanted to get her somewhere safe.

Before they left, she showed him what she'd been hiding in her pocket. Rylan had glanced at the diamonds, as if looking at scrap metal. "Do you want to me throw them out?"

Her hand hesitated, fingers unconsciously curling around the stones. "What if he comes back?"

Rylan kissed her forehead, moving his hand over her fist and pressing it closer together. "Keep them for now if you want, but that bastard won't be getting close enough to you to get his hands on them. If it stops you worrying though, I don't care if you hang on to them."

She nodded and had put the diamonds back in her pocket.

Rylan's hand reached down and squeezed her own which were clinging to his waist. He didn't have a jacket on, otherwise she would have put her hands in his pockets. His body was warm, despite the wind, and she spread her fingers across his abdomen, trying to absorb the warmth.

The bike bumped, turning onto a dirt road and she shifted her head, watching the trees blur past. The morning felt like a strange dream. One she'd rather forget. They pulled up in front of the house, the engine cutting off and Rylan sat back. Norah moved with him, her head still resting against his back. She didn't want to go in there and face everyone, to explain everything all over again. She'd rather just drive around and try to forget everything.

"Norah? You letting go anytime soon?"

She shook her head against his back and he chuckled softly, pulling her arms from around his waist. "Do I have to carry you in? Because if I do I have to tell you, I'm not against this plan."

He twisted, pulling her off the bike and standing with her. He reached over to pick her up and she slapped his hands away. "I'll walk."

They both stood still, one waiting for the other to move. When Norah's feet refused to move, Rylan grabbed her hand and pushed her forward.

"They won't bite," he murmured. "Unless they're eating and you try to take their food, because then all bets are off."

Her lips curled at his attempt to make her smile and he seemed satisfied that he got a response from her.

"Do you want me to tell them what happened, or do you want to do it yourself?"

She looked up, mouth opening to take his offer but paused. It was her problem, she knew she should do the right thing and explain it herself, rather than make Rylan do everything. An exhaustion had seeped through her during the ride and rather than play the stubborn independent card, she took his offer to share the load.

Making a decision, she answered, "can we do it together?"

Somehow, this seemed to make Rylan happier and he grinned. "Together then."

Cassie met them at the front door, worry and concern pouring from her face. "What's happened? Lucas told me to expect you."

Rylan squeezed Norah's hand. "Norah was attacked last night."

Cassie's face paled and Norah had a feeling the direction her mind was taking and quickly added, "It was someone I used to know, it wasn't a local."

She didn't use his name, but she knew Cassie had been thinking of Liam and the relief was instant. She masked it but Norah had seen it.

They headed into the kitchen and were met by the older Montoya's; Holden, Aston, Annie and a dark featured man Norah hadn't met yet.