25. Gathering

The walk to the site was quiet. They parked at the house and followed a trail lit by wooden torches. The flames glowed a pale orange, and Rylan explained they were covered in a special oil which would keep them burning until sunrise. Norah kept close to Rylan, every noise making her stomach tighten. She had no fond memories of the forest at night. It was eerily silent, the full moon was high in the sky, casting an ethereal glow on the forest. The air was cool and she shivered, pulling her jacket closer about her. Olivia had promised the fire would be enough to keep her warm though so she walked faster in anticipation.

They had been walking for ten minutes before the sound of voices reached them. Norah could make out the flames thought the trees and she started to feel nervous.

Rylan’s hold on her hand tightened in reassurance. "It’s going to be fun. Don’t stress."

"Right," she muttered. They entered the clearing and Norah’s eyes widened.

The large bonfire was alight; the heat rolled through the clearing and most of the gatherers stood along the outskirts, unable to get close the huge flames. Norah guessed there had to be at least fifty or so people there. Nearly everyone had some sort of food or beverage in their hand and everyone was chatting animatedly. Norah didn’t recognise many of them, but knew they had to belong to the other clans of the Bluestone pack.

Norah let Rylan lead her across the clearing towards the food hut where Annie and Cassie were rapidly emptying out the stored fridges. They managed a quick hello before being swamped by men wanting more food. Old arm chairs and couches were arranged outside the hut in a crooked line, people hanging off them in small groups. Norah spotted Charlie and Olivia talking to a young guy with a large black Mohawk she didn't recognise.

The Montoya’s were spread out across the clearing and they slowly made their way around to everyone. Rylan introduced her to everyone they met, and Norah shamefully forget their names within moments. The amount of introductions was overwhelming and she was relieved whenever they came across a familiar face. Aston and Logan dragged them over to their small group and Norah’s smile faded when she noticed Chloe amongst their number. Her attempts to fool Norah were still fresh in her mind and she plastered a fake smile on her face.

"How are you enjoying the night so far?" Logan asked her.

"It’s good," Norah’s smile turned genuine as she turned to look at him. "I am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of people, but I do love the atmosphere."

"Why even bother coming?" Chloe muttered, turning away.

Rylan wrapped an arm around Norah’s waist and she bit back a retort. Aston glared at his niece but she was moving away before she could feel its full effects. There was a moment of awkward silence the Montoya men felt embarrassed by her behaviour.

"Don’t worry about her," Aston sighed. "She still hasn’t grown up yet."

"It’s okay, I can handle her," Norah murmured.

"You’d be the only one," Rylan muttered and Norah elbowed him.

Logan grinned. "You're one to talk; I don’t know how you handle him, Norah."

"What are you talking about?" Rylan snapped. "I’m a catch."

"You are?" Norah asked innocently. "Since when?"

"Dammit woman, you’re meant to be on my side defending my honour!"

"I thought I was meant to be keeping your ego in check?"

"Not when we’re with other people!" He whined. "How else are they going to realise how awesome I am?"

Aston, Logan and Norah exclaimed with false astonishment at the news that he was awesome, and Rylan started pouting and walked away.