20. Date

Not long after she'd left Madison, Norah headed back to the Montoya's, stopping in at her house on the way. Everything had been cleaned, the furniture had been replaced, save for two of the kitchen chairs, but they weren't necessary.

Norah wasn't sure what Rylan had in mind for a date, but she didn't think it would be anything to elaborate, so she grabbed a clean pair of jeans and a light cardigan to wear with a singlet she had at their house.

Walking up the long road, she felt a bit nervous being out on her own again. Normally she enjoyed her time alone, but after everything that had happened, she was feeling nervous of walking around so close to the forest. The trees loomed to her right, and unconsciously she moved to the other side of the road. Her cell phone started ringing, giving her a fright.

"Hello?"

"Norah!" Alice's familiar voice eased the tension from her shoulders.

"Hey Alice, how's everything?"

"The same, but what about you? We haven't seen Daniel in a few days - I think it might be safe to come home -"

"No..." She started to say more but kept her mouth shut. If Alice knew that Daniel had found her, she would freak out and drive down to drag her home. "I haven't heard from him, but I think it's a bit early to head back yet." I suppose," Alice said uncertainly. "How's the boy you're hiding from me?"

She rolled her eyes. "He's fine, I'm heading to his house right now."

"So things are getting serious?" Alice demanded. "Are you wearing appropriate underwear?"

"I'm wearing comfortable underwear if that's what you mean."

"No! God, you are the un-sexiest woman ever."

"Thank you?" They spoke about proper dating attire and Norah tried to remain evasive. Alice had a bad habit of getting too involved whenever Norah started dating. She would try to primp her into a girly girl with lace underwear and dresses which did nothing to cover her modesty.

The Montoya's driveway came into view and the brown fallen leaves crunched under feet as she hit the dirt. "I have to go Alice, it's been good catching up."

"It has, you better come home soon, I miss your face. Also..." her voice grew quiet. "Adam got in touch with me and I gave him your email address."

"I know, he sent me an email a couple of days ago."

"You're not mad?"

"Yes and no. I haven't read his email yet. I'm not in the mood to be listen to his excuses."

"I know you Norah," she could hear Alice's smile. "You're angry now but you one day you'll realise that you still love that stupid head and you'll be ready to listen."

"I hate when you're right," Norah muttered. They hung up as the house came into view and Norah hesitated at the front door, wondering if she should knock first or just walk in.

"Come in," Holden's voice sounded from the sitting room to her left and she jumped. Pushing the door open, she met Holden in the entrance way. His face was grey and for the first time, he looked closer to his actual age. His eyes were sunken, dark circles under them and he leaned against the door.

"Are you all right, Holden? Should you be out of bed?"

"Never better," he growled. "Damn women trying to keep me in bed all day, I'll go mad."

"It's only because we're worried about you." Norah looked around for Cassie or Aston. "Where is everyone else?"

"Cassie is in the kitchen, and everyone else is out."