21. Fangs & Fur

They returned to the house in time for dinner and it was a small group tonight. Aston was busy at the Mill with Paul, and Logan and Aaron were on perimeter watch. Norah was surprised to see Charlie sitting at the table.

"Why are you here?"

His face was dark, and he jabbed at his vegetables savagely. "Wendy's in a bad mood."

"Oh, is that because of her ex? Madison was telling me -"

"When did you see Madison?" His eyes lit up and she refrained the urge to roll her eyes.

"Calm your jets, lover boy. I saw her earlier in town. And no, she didn't talk about you."

"I never asked that," he snapped.

"You didn't have to," Rylan spoke between the food in his mouth, reaching for food on Norah's. "You're pussy whipped."

"Language, Rylan!" Cassie snapped from the head of the table, shocking Annie next to her. Luke and Holden looked up from their conversation, amused and Rylan bowed his head.

"Sorry, Cassie." Olivia grinned playfully and Rylan stuck his tongue out. "Anyway, you are, man. Just ask her out already and be done with it."

"What, like you did with Norah?" Charlie scoffed. "You were worse than me, always hanging around her, finding excuses why it should be you staying at her place -"

Rylan kicked him under the table and Norah glanced at him wryly. "You sound like a stalker."

"I prefer determined scallywag," he muttered, taking a huge chunk of meat off her plate.

"So," Olivia got Norah's attention. "What did you two get up to this afternoon?"

Norah's cheeks reddened and she focused on her food. "Nothing big, just went for a walk in the forest. Rylan revealed how he's going to kill me in the future - that sort of thing."

"If he kills you," Olivia glared at her brother. "I'll avenge you. Charlie will help, won't you?"

He nodded. "Definitely. I already have the perfect plan in mind."

"Oh, tell me more!"

Norah listened as Charlie told Olivia his devious plan of ending Rylan's life. It was a strangely entertaining conversation and Norah laughed as Rylan vehemently protested the use of a blow torch, arguing that electrical torture would be more effective, when the room fell silent.

Norah's smile faded, watching the way their gazes sharpened, as if listening to something elsewhere. "What -?"

They all shot up from the table, rushing from the room and Norah looked at Annie in shock. She smiled apologetically, though her eyes revealed her concern. "It would seem something has happened. Come on, dear."

Norah followed Annie out to the foyer and caught Annie as she collapsed, crying in shock. Logan crouched in the doorway, covered in blood and Aaron lay unconscious in his arms. Luke knelt beside them, eyes burning with fury. "Liam?"

Logan nodded. "I'm sorry Luke, they came out of nowhere - we were outnumbered - "

Luke slapped his shoulder, gripping it tightly. "It's okay. You did well getting Aaron back here. How bad is the damage?"

"A few stomach wounds," Logan stared at his brother with worry, "and I think his spleen might be damaged."

Holden stared into the night, a low growl emitting from his throat. "Cassie, take the boys inside and take care of them with Annie."

"I want to stay," Cassie cried. "I want to see -"

"Now!" Cassie turned away, eyes red with unshed tears and helped her sister with Logan and Aaron. Olivia trembled beside Norah, and unconsciously grabbed her arm.