Chapter 12: Foolish

The night before Venture Day was a blur. I found out that Freya wouldn't be on duty but Rose was, much to her delight. Rose always hated waking up on Venture Days whenever she was on duty.

Dinner was fairly silent, excluding Rose's running commentary of how much sleep she's going to miss out on and after dinner, Gram entered mine and Freya's house and dropped my satchel on the table. I wasn't aware that she took it.

"I've prepared a map with written instructions for you so it shouldn't be too hard to find. Remember lassie, any book will do. All you need to know is in there." She pointed to the bag. "So I suggest you read up tonight because you've got a long journey ahead of you tomorrow."

That was all she said to me before she left again and the next thing I knew, it was the morning of Venture Day.

I woke up more groggy than usual which was surprising as I went to sleep rather early.

Pulling on my Venturer attire of a black tank top, a brown leather jacket, black leather trousers and black leather boots and afterwards heading to the open window, I tried to remember the map that I memorised last night. I was proud when I managed to think of each instruction left for me by Gram.

I rushed as I threw my hair into the Venturer braid, grabbed my satchel which held the map with instructions Gram had gave me, and quietly left my house in hopes not to wake Freya.

Heading to the Base Square, I found Rose sitting down at one of the tables. She had her head in her arms and looked like she was on the verge of sleeping. Rose was never a morning person.

"Morning sunshine." I muttered as I sat next to her, I only got a grumble in response.

I was supposed to sit with the other Venturers but I wouldn't get to see Rose before I left, though I suppose I wouldn't be getting much of a goodbye out of her this morning.

"Attention all Venturers!" Garrett stood at the front of the tables and began his speech like he always did but this time it was different. This time I didn't care. The only useful bit of information that came out of his mouth was that we had been given three whole days for this particular journey. It was uncommon for us to be given two days, let alone three. What on earth did Gram say to him?

All too soon, I found myself walking alongside Rose down to the border. I began to make a plan of all the places it would be safe to rest for a while before finding a suitable place to stay overnight. My destination was more than a day away. I had to be smart if I wanted to get there, take what I need and then get back here before time ran out.

Ten minutes past and the border was in sight. I was dreading the journey but it would all be worth it if I got the answers I need.

"Suppose this is goodbye for three days, unless you wanna run into that monster again." Rose had slightly woken up. I could tell because there was a small smile on her face. "If that's the case then I'll see you whenever you decide to come back. If you decide to come back that is."

"Wow, not fair." I laughed lightly but I found a small part of me hoping to run into Silver Eyes again. I missed her and I began to wonder whether my message made it to her or not.

"Earth to Dawn?" Rose waved her hand in front of my face. "You're thinking about that monster aren't you."

Before I could reply, a shout came from above. "Watchers to your stations!"

Rose pulled me in for a quick hug before running to the nearest tree.

"Her name is Syren!" I called out just as she started to climb. I could tell she heard me but she kept on going. Typical Rose.