2.1 | KNJ

— he was so close to usthe whole time

he was so close to us
the whole time.

OCTOBER 17:
KIM NAMJOON

==

"no."

it takes a full minute for the word to be uttered after jae is done talking, cutting the silence with a heavy whisper, and namjoon slowly turns his head to the speaker. jimin, who's struggling to contain his emotions, has disbelief painted over his face. taehyung has lived with jae for four years. four years...

"no," jimin repeats, shaking his head, "no, it's not possible. i was there to see him buried, he—he can't have just been here these four years, alive, it's not...it's—"

"it's true," jae murmurs. "and you must be confused. i am, too. i don't know how you six are able to see abraxas, but—"

"abraxas?"

"the monster. that's what we've named it. oh lord," she chuckles almost solemnly, "there is so much to tell you..."

namjoon turns to the others, mind reeling. their expressions of shock are unwavering as they digest jae's words slowly, like their actions are drenched in molasses. and he isn't different. he had formulated so many ideas, so many forced answers, and yet jae's words are still baffling to him because hell, that's the last thing he expected to hear.

"we?" namjoon manages to say, locking eyes with jae. "are there others?"

she massages her wrinkled hands and pauses, the age in her face seeming to grow. "there is a society. it's small, extremely small, and global—we work with people from all countries, it's...putting everything aside, it's quite a fascinating organization, actually. it's incredibly inconspicuous, mostly to take abraxas's attention away from us, but also to shield ourselves from governmental policies and regular people. "

"shield yourselves?" seokjin asks, eyebrows scrunching in confusion. "why?"

"a scarce number of people can see abraxas, so if the government were to know that people like us—daytime rich doctors, lawyers, engineers, people with money—are using our earnings on 'psuedo science', they'd shut down the organization immediately."

there's a span of tense silence.

"it's horribly hard to join and even find the society because of that," jae continues with a sigh. "i've been with it for twenty years, even though i actually began to research abraxas and the other world a few years years before that. there's a locked communication system throughout the society for us—perks of engineers, i suppose.