3.10 | PJM

— "let's be best friends,taehyungie!"NOVEMBER 12:PARK JIMIN

taehyungie!"

NOVEMBER 12:
PARK JIMIN

==

park jimin was six years old when he met kim taehyung.

he was knobby-kneed, big eyed, and short enough to crawl into the cubbies of his first grade classroom. when he spoke, his voice was loud and squeaky, with a slight lisp to rougher syllables. (his mother told him he'd grow up to be a fine, mighty man, so eloquent in speech, when the other kids teased him about it. jimin vowed he would.)

 it was the second day of school on a warm, humid afternoon,  with the joyful squeals of their playing classmates resounding all throughout the playground. jimin stood near the swings with a frown on his face. no one wanted to play four square with him—he didn't have front teeth, is all, his lisp wasn't even that noticeable anyway—, so he waited and watched the courtyard with a puff to his cheeks and a crease between his eyebrows.

there was a boy sitting near the sandbox, poking holes with a stick in his left hand. he was the color of a fried egg roll and jimin wanted to meet him.

"hi, my name is park jimin," he proudly announced after reaching the sandbox, chest puffed. (he liked to think his friendly introductions were his best social aspect.)

the boy the color of a fried egg roll looked up with squinted eyes and a crinkled nose. he had shaggy, brown bangs and bushy eyebrows, and there were a few moles on his nose that kind of looked like a smiley face if you imagined hard enough. jimin was good at imagining. he also thought the boy looked sort of ugly.

"okay," he sniffled, turning back to the sandbox and poking another hole. 

jimin stood, unsure of what to say next. step one of his introduction failed, so he needed at least three minutes for him to think up a plan. he was determined; playing four-square with one person is a bit boring, if not impossible, anyway.

"i'm bored, and you look bored too," jimin kicked a pebble with his foot, "so i'm gonna let you play four-square with me, because i'm really nice."

"i'm not bored."

"i'm really, really good at four-square! all the other people want to play with me, because i'm so good, but i'm asking you only because i'm really super nice."

"i'm fine here."

"okay, whatever," jimin shrugged, walking away. inside he was quietly dying.

it took a full twenty seconds for him to come running back.

"what are you doing, anyway?"