Chapter Thirty Six

Xander stands rigid, every vein in his body sticks out of his skin. His green eyes now midnight black with rage and hatred. He opens his fists and closes them, trying to fight back his wolf. His breaths are heavy and uneven. The slight breeze that was swinging the uncut grass seemed to stop, just as the time did around us. The humid air hangs around us, giving me an unwanted hug. I do not know whether it is the air that makes it hard to breathe, or the undying fear that makes my heart pump a mile a minute.

Sweat licks at my palms and I fight the urge to wipe my palms on my hospital gown in fear that at any moment Xander will pounce. I could feel the closeness of Damon, his tenseness. I want to move away, but the fear of moving keeps me from doing so. The risk of Xander realizing how close we really are to each other is too great.  I stand tense, waiting for someone to make a move.

Moments like these reminds me of times when I was a child, like I was doing something I was not supposed to be doing. But those moments end in a timeout, I am afraid to see what this will end in. I know stories of mates cheating on mates, the pain the other one feels digging at their heart. I find myself wondering if Xander felt that pain, the pain that was a fraction of the pain he has put me through. I hope he felt every last drop from the split-second kiss Damon and I shared only a minute ago, and I hope that little kiss tares him apart inside just like he did me.

Xander takes a slow step towards us, like a predator stalking his prey. His eyes lock with Damon's, completely ignoring me. Xander's mouth pulls back into a snarl, putting his canines on display. Damon takes a step in front of me, earning a low growl from Xander.

"Alpha, calm down," Damon says cautiously, his voice low. This earns Damon a loud snarl.

Xander stalks towards us, now circling us, but his eyes still remain on Damon. Damon's demeanor remains calm, but his tense muscles suggest anything  but such. Xander continues to stalk around us slowly.

"Step down, Beta!"  Xander's booming voice makes me cringe. Even though I am half human and his order was not directed to me, my knees begin to shake from the power radiating off his body. Damon's neck automatcially sticks out in submission to his alpha. Xander walks over to Damon, the same sinister look he had on his face the day he took me. Xander stands two inches away from his brother, staring him in the eyes. Damon stands strong, staring at his brother right back with a straight face. "Why were you with my female?"

The way Xander talks about me like an object infuriates me, but it seemed to infuriate Damon more. Damon grounds out angrily, "Because you took mine away, Alpha." Damon spits the word "alpha", like it was poison on his. Xander growls loudly and grabs Damon by the neck with his two rough hands, engulfing Damon's neck. Relentlessly, Damon continues, "You don't deserve her you bastard."

Xander growls louder and more ferociously than before. Damon's face grows red with the lack of oxygen. It is like I am frozen in place, I want to move to help Damon, but my feet feel like they are cemented to the ground.

"Want me to kill you the same way I killed your beloved, brother?" Xander taunts viciously. Damon's eyes turn midnight black, matching Xander's eyes. Both of their wolves are now in control. The evil glint in Xander's eyes tells me that this is not going to end well. 

Damon snarls, clawing at Xander's hands. "You bastard!"

Xander laughs sadistically, "She screamed so loud, the way you're going to scream when I break every bone in your body."

That was all it took for Damon to lose it. 

----------------

VOTE & COMMENT

Hey guys! I know it has been a while but I kind of lost my way. I will hopefully be updating again shortly and I want to get into a routine!