Chapter One: Melanie Meets Garret

The doorbell rang. I got up from my seat and walked to the front door, swinging it open. And there was Jasper, wearing his usual outfit for the first day of school. I smiled at him. “Hey, you’re out early.”

            He rolled his eyes. “My parents were out early and they forgot buying me a cereal or something for breakfast. Do you mind if I eat breakfast here?”

            “Nope,” I said, popping the p. Then I smirked at him. “Or is that just an excuse so you could be here and eat my Mom’s oh-so glorious food?”

            He returned my smirk. “You know me so well,” he said and the both of us laughed. He stepped in my house and I shut the door behind him. He followed me to the dining hall where Melissa and I were eating breakfast. Jasper smiled at Melissa. “Hi, Lisa.”

            She rolled her eyes. “Don’t call me that.”

            “What? I can’t call you ‘Mel’ because that’s what I call Melanie.”

            “Whatever.” Then she returned eating her breakfast silently.

            I sighed at the both of them. Melissa and Jasper were good friends—catch the past tense there. Jasper did some trick on Melissa when we were twelve years old and she never have forgiven him ever since.

            I cleared my throat. “Uh, Jasper, you could seat beside me.”

            When he sat on the seat beside me, I went to the kitchen to grab an extra plate for Jasper. Mom noticed this. “Who’s that for?”

            “Jasper,” I replied. “He’s here.”

            “Oh,” Mom said, trying to hide her smirk. I rolled my eyes at her and went out the kitchen.

            I handed Jasper the plate and he began eating the bacon and eggs my Mom made. Mom’s a good cook. I had never met someone who cooks like her and I am so glad she’s my Mother.

            After eating breakfast, I went up to my room, Jasper following me from behind. I brushed my teeth in my bathroom and then fixed my hair one last time. When I was ready, I turned to Jasper who was lying on my bed, reading my songbook.

            “You really make good songs, Mel,” he commented, flicking on the next page. Then he shut it close and threw it in my drawer where it belongs. He grinned at me. “Ready?”

            “Yep. I’m ready for junior year,” I said, laughing.

            The two of us went downstairs, his arm slumping on my shoulder like he normally does. I bade Melissa and Mom goodbye and went out of my house and into Jasper’s car. Jasper usually drives me to school since I don’t know how to drive—I have no intention to learn—and I don’t have a car. Amanda has her own BMW convertible so she drives herself to school.

            I got in Jasper’s shiny black Porsche. It’s obvious he adores his car, just the way you see him looking at it. I rolled my eyes as I sat down on the passenger’s seat. What is it with boys and cars?

            Jasper got in the driver’s seat. He started the engine and began to drive. The school is not that far from my house. It’s only half an hour drive and if you walk, at least forty-five minutes.

            Jasper cleared his throat. “So what are your resolutions for the new school year, Mel? Find a boyfriend?”

            I snorted. “I don’t need a boyfriend, Jasper. And besides, I’m happy hanging out with you and Amanda. Can you just imagine if I’m going to have a boyfriend? You’re not going to see me anymore,” I teased.