Chapter Twenty-Five: Disastrous Eighteenth Birthday

I groggily opened my eyes and let out a very loud and unladylike yawn. I blinked the sleepiness out of my eyes then focused on the calendar that’s posted on the wall in front of me.

            January 8.

            Hmm, I know that means something.

            My eyes widened as I remembered. It’s my birthday. My eighteenth birthday.

            But I quickly frowned. I mean, I’m adopted, right? How would they know that’s my real birthday? I shrugged and was about to got up from my bed when I noticed my phone that was lying on the table beside my bed. I checked my messages: Two voicemails and a message from Amanda.

            I listened to the first one: “Hi! You’re still probably asleep right now. Anyway, it’s me, Gwyneth. I just called you to let you know that the eighth of January is really your birthday. Walter was so sure and we asked a doctor when you were still a baby on what day you were really born. So… happy birthday! I wish you all the best. I know I’m not a perfect mother but I hope I was good enough. I also hope that you would meet your own mother. She’d be very, very happy to know she would have a very wonderful daughter like you. Happy birthday again and God bless, Melanie.”

            A smile formed on my lips. So the eighth of January is still my real birthday. No harm done. I quickly pressed the buttons on my phone to hear the next voicemail.

            “Melanie, its Jasper. You’re asleep right now; I’m so sure of it. Never been the early bird, aren’t you?” He laughed slightly. “Anyway, I just want you to greet you a happy birthday. I know you and Garret are pretty serious now. But just know I still love you and you can’t get rid of me easily. We’ve been best friends since the age of four. You know, when Garret arrived, we got… uh, separated. Huh, weird, eh? But I’m happy that you’re happy with him. So I guess that’s enough. Happy birthday, Mels. Love you!”

            I laughed and read Amanda’s message: Happy birthday, Melanie! I really miss you and I hope you’d be back next week. I want you to meet a guy. Yep – I have a boyfriend now! Can you believe it? Anyway, happy eighteenth birthday! I love you!

            Sighing, I smiled to myself. It’s good to know some people would really take some time for you to greet you. I was about to get up when my phone suddenly rang. I glanced on the caller ID then grinned childishly. It’s Garret.

            I pressed the Answer button and placed it on my ear. “Hi, sweetie pie.”

            “Sweetie pie? Sweetie pie?! Melanie, there are hundreds – thousands – of nicknames for couples in the whole world and you call me sweetie pie?”

            I rolled my eyes. “Don’t be such a killjoy. It’s my birthday.”

            “Thanks for reminding me,” he replied sarcastically. “So yeah. I just called to say happy birthday.”

            “That’s it?”

            “What? You want more?”

            I giggled then quickly blushed with embarrassment. Ugh, could love make me like a stupid young twelve-year-old? Giggling while talking on the phone with her boyfriend? Seriously, Melanie?

            “Well,” I purred seductively as I leaned on the wall, “what would you give me tonight?”

            “You’re not getting some,” he replied shortly.