Chapter Twenty-Two: A Kiss in the Rain

Forget what I said about Chapter Sixteen being my favorite chapter. xD This chapter is OFICIALLY my favorite chapter! :) Read it and know what I mean. :D Hahaha!

_______________________________________________________________________________

            I stared back at Xayranne, dumbfounded. “His birthday is in three days?! But he never told me about it!”

            She shrugged and leaned back on the sofa where she was sitting. “Knowing Garret, he wouldn’t tell you.”

            “But I’m his girlfriend! I should know about these things,” I grumbled and fold my arms across my chest as I glared at the coffee table in front of me. Xayranne just told me what I would be getting for Garret. I frowned and looked up at her, asking what for. Then she explained that Garret’s birthday is in three days and here I am, looking like a stupid girlfriend who doesn’t even know when my boyfriend’s birthday was.

            Oh, the irony.

            “Well, you’re lucky that I told you,” Xayranne said, smiling at me.

            “I don’t feel lucky.”

            “At least you know now.”

            “What does she know now?” his familiar voice echoed inside the living room. I looked up and there was Garret, bringing three cups of coffee on the tray. He was smiling up at me and then I stood up, glaring at him with all my might. His smile faded and his eyes stared back at mine nervously. “Um… Melanie?”

            “You!” I hissed. “Why didn’t you tell me when your birthday was?! I’m your freaking girlfriend! I repeat, freaking girlfriend! And you’re not telling me about this?”

            He smiled at me sheepishly as he set the tray down on the coffee table. Xayranne stood up awkwardly, trying to suppress her giggles. “Um, I’m going to look for Flynn. See you guys later.”

            Then she left the living room. I folded my arms across my chest again and tapped my right foot on the floor. I raised an arrogant eyebrow to Garret. “Well? Care to explain why you didn’t tell me?”

            “Because…”

            “Because what?! Just get on with it!”      

            “My birthday is not important,” he said dismissively. “I mean, vampires live forever and there’s no point in celebrating birthdays, right? And besides, it means getting older than you.”

            “Well, you’re supposed to be older than me. You’re the guy.”

            “But I’m a vampire.”

            “So?”

            He gave me a look. “Sometimes you’re really stupid, you know that?”

            I returned the look. “Says the guy who didn’t tell his girlfriend about his birthday!”

            He rolled his eyes. “I’m two hundred twenty-seven years older than you, Melanie. Do you think that’s normal? No.” My jaw dropped to the ground. “And I’m turning two hundred forty-four in three days.” Then he looked away from me. “I’m ashamed on my age, okay? I don’t want celebrating my birthday.”

            I bit my lip. Oh, so that’s why he didn’t tell me… But still, he should have told me about it. I took a step forward and wrapped my arms around his waist. “I’m sorry. But I’m hurt that you didn’t tell me about your birthday…”