Chapter Twenty-One: Unexpected Visitor

Banner on the side is made by LovelyOwls. :) Awesome, right? xD

_____________________________________________________________________________

        “Good morning, Melanie,” a cheerful voice greeted me.

            I looked down from the second floor and saw Lillian, smiling up at me, carrying a tray of pancakes. Grinning, I waved at her. “Good morning, Lillian.”

            “Do you want some pancakes? I made it myself,” she told me proudly. “Bernice isn’t going to come here for today it’s only me and you. Alexander needs to leave to fix some things.”

            “Awesome.” I walked down the stairs and went in the dining room. Lillian was already there and placing two plates on the dining table. “I’ll get the forks and knives.”

            Lillian nodded. “You do that.”

            After grabbing two forks and knives inside the kitchen, I joined Lillian inside the dining room and placed the forks and knives in the right places. Lillian already prepared the honey syrup and butter for the pancakes. She sat down across the seat across me and smiled up at me. “Are you Catholic?”

            “Yeah, I am.”

            “Then let’s pray.”

            We said our grace and after that, we began to eat. As I grabbed a pancake and filled it with syrup, I titled my head and glanced at Lillian. “I never knew vampires are Catholic.”

            She shrugged. “Some of us are, but some of us aren’t. We’re just like humans, except we drink some blood and we live forever.” She grinned up at me. “Not all vampires are devilish.”

            “Of course not,” I agreed quickly.

            “Enough talking about this topic. It makes me uneasy,” she admitted. “So… you and Garret are pretty serious right now, huh?”

            I blushed. “Yeah… we are.”

            “You’re perfect for him,” Lillian told me and winked. “Garret has already lived a lot of years and I never saw him smile like that before. In fact, he never smiled like that after that human girl broke his heart. Everything just came crashing down when she broke his heart, you know? Garret was destroyed. Then Roxanne came along and we all thought that she was the one for her. Fiona desperately wanted Roxanne to be her daughter-in-law.”

            I nodded, feeling slightly uncomfortable. Oka-ay. “Yeah?”

            Lillian nodded and took another forkful of pancake. “Yeah… But Garret never seemed interested at Roxanne. And then, just one day, out of the blue, he came to talk to Alexander. You see, when you’re a vampire and you want to go out and interact with humans, you need to ask permission first to the King. And so he did that, asking Alexander for permission to go to a human school with Roxanne to find the right one for him. And when I learned that you were the girl he has taken interest with, I knew you’re not going to be the same with the human girl. I knew you’re the one for him.”

            I sighed and shrugged helplessly. “I’m not sure about that ‘the one for him’ part.”

            She frowned, leaning closer. “Why not?”

            “Because I’m a human and he’s a vampire. In order for us to be together forever, I need to be a vampire. And in order for that to happen, I need to kill a human—not just any human but a human that I love. I need to drink his or her blood—every single drop of it.” I shook my head slightly as I leaned back on my chair. “I want to spend the rest of my lifetime with Garret, but I want him to love me, too. I doubt it if he would still love me if I’m wrinkled and old.”