CHAPTER 1

Sometimes, I wake up at night gasping for air, cold sweating, settling slowly into reality. Thanking God it was nothing but a dream. At least I hope it was a dream.

If you are here to find a love story ―girl meets girl, they fall in love, live happily ever after― you must stop reading. I will disappoint you. This is not the story of how I met the love of my life. This is the story of how I lost it.

First things first; my name is Riley Brenan. Yes, my parents thought it was cute to give their first born daughter a boy's name. It could've been worse; they could've named me Tyler, like my mother wanted, or Bryan like my dad wanted. Eventually, my uncle, my dad's brother, told him to name me Riley as a nice unisex commitment so it could've been worse. Little did he know that Riley means 'wood cleaner'. Although... someone told me once it also means valiant.

I was born in Lenberg, Oregon. Population, fifty thousand. I always liked the weather, especially when it rains and it rains a lot. I love the gray sky, the humidity in the air, the smell of wet grass. Running through the streets hoping to find a place where you can take refuge from the downpour. And that is how this story begins.

It was Tuesday. I remember because my mom had to pick up the laundry that day. She needed the dark green Dolce & Gabbana coat that had to be dry-cleaned so it wouldn't get ruined for a business meeting, and she couldn't find a babysitter for me, so I had to go with her. This was back when she still worked, so I was about was ten. We got out of the car and I held my mom's hand as I always did as we walked into the dry-cleaner. While my mom picked up her coat, it started raining. I pulled my mom's dress to call her attention, but she wouldn't look at me. She was making sure her coat looked perfect and I, like any other kid, I didn't like to be ignored.

"Mommy!" I yelled, pulling harder "Mommy, it's raining!"

Without lying eyes on me, she replied: "Yes, baby, I know." And paid for her coat. As we turned around she looked out the store's glass door to say "Oh, God. It's pouring rain and I forgot the umbrella."

I frowned. I opened my mouth to point out I had just said that but then I closed it. I pursed my lips and looked away. That was as close as I got to a tantrum. I was never a difficult kid. If I didn't like something, I wouldn't yell and cry, I'd become quiet and still instead.

Now, this is when destiny came in, I guess. If my mother hadn't forgotten the umbrella we would've left, she would've taken me home and by that time, dad would've been there, so she could go to her meeting leaving me with him. We would've played video games and made dinner, and nothing would've happened.

But she forgot the umbrella; that's what matters.

I saw them, running towards the dry-cleaner. Her mother was covering her head with her purse and the girl beside her covered her own head with a coloring book. They ran inside holding hands, closed the door behind them and took a few minutes to breathe and shake the water off of them. They weren't soaked, but a little water in that cold could send you to bed for a week. Her mother, a tall, blond woman on her mid-thirties apologized to the rep. The girl waved her off and offered them a towel. I know she did it because of the little girl, who had to be around my age.

They dried themselves up and waited with us for the rain to stop.

"It's horrible out there." The blond woman commented.

"And only minutes ago the sun was shining," My mom said.

"Yeah. I can't get used to this weather."

"You're not from around here?" The woman shook her head "Where are you guys from?"

"Denver," the woman replied.

And like that, they started a conversation. While they talked up a storm, literally, I stared at the girl who sat by one of the chairs in the corner and looked at the rain. I still remember. She was beautiful.