CHAPTER 27

Hey there guys! I know I took over a month to update last time, but the missus and I were moving, and we rescued a little baby dog so I've been super busy. So sorry about that. Anyway, to the real news. If my math is checking, which I hope it is, Homecoming should have about seven or eight more chapters left. These are relatively long chapters so I won't be uploading once a week, but once every two weeks. If I manage to get them quicker, well, I'll upload quicker but yeah, it should be close to once every two weeks.

That was it. Hope you enjoy this chapter and, as always, thanks for reading.

"Do you regret what happened afterwards?" she asks.

I sigh, trying to find the right words to express my thoughts. Then I realized it didn't matter. "I know I'm supposed to say I regret it. To say it was a mistake and that I should've known better. That if I could go back in time I would change everything that happened that weekend. Truth is I wouldn't. I do not regret it and if I could go back in time I would gladly make that mistake purposely."

"But you still call it a mistake."

"Because it was. Consciously I know the pain it caused. All the things that happened because of it... I know. But I would still do it. I loved her."

The next day, Faye didn't go to work, so I finished putting everything on its place by myself. I thought it was understandable. We hadn't really been nice to each other and I thought she needed time, but when she didn't go to work on Friday it made me, well... angry. I wasn't paying her, and deep down she had no obligation towards the bookstore, or towards me, but that didn't make my anger go away.

I called her, but she wouldn't pick up, none of the seven times. I felt tempted to give Scott a try but I didn't feel like explaining to him why his wife was not speaking to me now. Especially not after I had ruined our friendship at the Paintball field. Also, Faye and Scott weren't in the best of terms.

I decided to wait. Once she'd calmed down she'd called. At least, that's what I thought. I closed up the store, went home and waited for her called. And I never got it.

That night I couldn't sleep well and for the first time, the reason was not my nightmares. I felt bad about it. I didn't quite understand why but I felt bad and I needed to talk to her. It was three am maybe, so calling her was insanity, but my head pushed the insanity thing at the back of my head, and I picked up my phone and dialed.

To my surprise, she answered. Her voice was drowsy and thick. I had clearly woken her up. "What?" she whispered.

"You finally pick up," I said.

I heard noise in the other side of the line. As if she were sitting up in her bed. "You can't take a hint, can you?"

"I can... I just don't want to. I needed to talk to you."

She sighed, a bit annoyed with my calling at three am. "And why is that, Riley?"

"I need to tell you something."

"It's three in the morning, can't it wait?"

"No."

"So it has to be now."

"Yes."

There must have been something in my voice that made her reconsider, because she sighed again and said, "Alright. You wanna talk? Come."

"What?"

"I want you to come here."

"It's three in the morning."