CHAPTER 10

My mother didn't call me until a week after I left. Then, she started calling every day, just to know I was okay. She showed up at the Burton's to see me but I didn't want to see her. She also offered the Burtons money to support me, but they refused. They said I was more useful around the house than Faye, who spent her days chatting with her friends on the internet, listening to music and painting. They were happy to have me. And I was glad. I never wanted to be an imposition. My mom came in one the afternoons, tried to explain herself to Mrs. Burton and they talked, like the friends they had always being, trying to help my mother be more understanding.

My dad never called, never showed up with my mom, not once. And I never called him, I never wanted to.

I felt the pressure on my shoulders, trying to keep my head together. Trying not to explode, but how much can someone really take before they blow up? My emotional state became a hurricane, I went from being incredibly sad, to incredibly angry. And the few moments a day I felt in complete tranquility were always interrupted when I saw my mom arrive, asking if she could see me and fix things.

She was trying, I give her props for that, but... I think I was afraid to be honest. They had already hurt me, rejected me, and the mere idea of that happening again, that same sensation of abandonment and pain. I wasn't ready to face it again. But I did.

Since my parents knew already, being in the closet was pointless, so two weeks after I moved in with the Burtons, I was ready to tell my friends. Scott already knew so that was a plus, and I was confident they would be fine with it. Faye and I asked them to meet us at the stands of the basketball stadium, alone, privately, while everyone else was at the cafeteria.

Scott remained standing with his arms crossed and his mouth twisted trying to look like he didn't know what this was about. Louise, Mike and Bill sat down while Faye and I stood before them trying to come up with the right words to break such news.

"Guys," I started, "You know we love you, and we know we should've told you this a lot sooner, but it's a little complicated, you know?"

"What?" Bill asked.

I turned to Faye, who gave me the warmest of smiles and held my hand. I swallowed the fear and finished "Faye and I are dating. We have been dating for a while."

For a few seconds, everything that could be heard was the whistling of the breeze. Suddenly, Louise stood up, turned to Mike and said "I knew it! Pay up!"

"Goddamn it," Mike murmured and took a ten out of his pocket.

"You knew?" Faye asked.

"Well, we weren't completely sure," Louise answered "I felt there was something going on and I got this feeling, like you guys were doing the dance with no pants, if you get what I'm saying." She winked and I covered my face with embarrassment.

"So we made a bet," Mike jumped in "I said you weren't dating already, but you eventually would. She said you were and you would tell us anytime soon."

We laughed, the air of relief prevented us from noticing Bill hadn't said anything. "Bill?" I called out.

He seemed lost, confused "You're joking, right?"

"What?"

"What are you doing?"

"What do you mean?"

"You've had boyfriends before, so has Faye. What, you're playing lesbian now?"

I frowned, "We're not playing anything. I'm lesbian, Faye's bisexual. You do understand that is a thing that exists, right?"