CHAPTER 30

I'm not quite sure if it was a Tuesday or a Wednesday. I know it happened on one of those days because since we got most of our business on the weekends, Connor took his two days off on Tuesdays and Wednesdays while Faye took it on Mondays, and I on Thursdays. And the day Matthew Duffy walked into the bookstore, Connor wasn't working. So it had to be one of those days, but for the sake of this, let's pretend we are sure it was a Tuesday.

The bookstore had been opened for business for almost four months. Faye and I were on the office since there were no customers on a Tuesdays at that hour. She had me pinned against the wall while she kissed me. She let go of my mouth as her hands went for my jeans. I felt her fooling around with my pant's button when I complained. "Faye, come on!" I said pushing her hands away. "We're working!"

Her hands went back to my jeans, but this time I didn't stop her. "Oh, come on. It's Tuesday afternoon, it's dead at this hour. Relax."

As she dropped to her knees to undo my pants, I dropped my arms and sighed giving up. She always gets her way with me. She undid my jeans and began to pull them down along with my underwear. I closed my eyes while feeling her tongue come closer to my crouch.

"Hello?" we both heard someone opening the front door.

"Shit!" she said standing up and leaving the office to assist the person who'd just walked in. As I pulled my jeans up I heard Faye ask, "Hey, looking for something in particular?"

"Uh, actually... I'm looking for Captain Brenan, ma'am. I was told she worked here," I recognized that voice.

I buttoned my pants while Faye replied, "You looking for Riley?"

"Yes, ma'am."

I walked out of the office and towards the front door to find the person speaking to Faye. He was tall, over six feet tall. Dark hair, brown eyes, muscular.

"Matt?"

Private Matthew Duffy. As soon as he saw me, he placed his hands behind his back, lifted his chin up and stretched his legs to the width of his shoulders to put himself in Parade Rest. "Captain."

I smiled. "At rest, soldier." He relaxed and smiled as I walked up to him and hugged him. "It's so good to see you."

"You, too."

"What are you doing here?" I said pulling away.

"I wanted to see you, ma'am."

"Matt, come on, no 'ma'am'. It's just Riley."

"I know, sorry, it's just... old habits die hard."

"Tell me about it, I once stood in Parade Rest while standing in a supermarket line."

He laughed and added, "It is really good to see you... Riley."

"How did you know I was here?"

"Well, actually I've been looking for you for some time now. I'm on this... homework from my therapist."

"You're seeing a therapist?"

"Yeah, well. My wife told me 'You either get your ass to therapy, or I'm divorcing you'. So here I am. It turned out to be a good idea. She's really been helping."

"I'm glad to hear that."

"Yeah, anyway, she wanted me to... well, to get to grips with what happened, and suggested I should see how you and the Colonel were doing so that I could put that behind me. I looked you up on the internet and this bookstore came up. It wasn't that long of a ride."