Calm Before The Storm

"There's this huge frat party happening this Friday, wanna come with us?" Mikey asked as we walked home, "us" meant the spin the bottle group from the Iero family's basement. Mikey didn't like his brother being around Bert and his good-for-nothing friends so it was always just us eight which was a group just the right size; too many people would cause a scene.
"I'm not the type of party person" I told him.
"Neither am I, I'm only going to see what it's all about because I've never gone to one before but they're apparently legendary"
"I think my friend is visiting from Illinois" I lied; the last party I went to, I ended up in a hospital after Pete fell down the stairs while trying to be silent after sneaking back into the house at two am.

"Bring your friend!"
"This specific person and parties are not a good mix" I told him.
"Why? Are they the type to call and complain about the noise?" He asked.
"No, they're the type to grind on a plant and cry to the staircase railing that he messed up"
"What the hell does your friend drink?" Mikey questioned as I unlocked the door to my house and we walked in; my dad knew Mikey was coming over and after talking to him a few times, he's learned he isn't a vampire who will eat me so he was fine with allowing him in the house when he's not home but only in the living room.
"The hard shit like Everclear Grain"
"Is he crazy?! Does he drink it straight out of the bottle?" Mikey was shocked a person his age was able to drink such a thing which only made me laugh because I had become use to that.
"If it's not out of the bottle, he doesn't want it" I told my friend as I took off my shoes and guided him down to my room; we weren't going to stay there but I wanted to change because I didn't like sitting on the couch in a skirt.

"I assume this is plant grinder before he started drinking?" Mikey asked as we walked in and saw a picture in a frame on my dresser of him and I at my tenth birthday. I smiled at the image of him wearing my birthday crown with skeleton face paint on the lower half of his face and me with Minnie Mouse on mine, both of us eating cake but Pete slid the arm with the plastic purple fork in his hand around my shoulder and had me almost in a headlock as we were both laughing; it was a memory I would forever replay.
"Yeah. His name is Peter by the way but everyone calls him Pete" I told my friend as I pulled out grey sweatpants and a black v-neck and undid my tie, tossing it on the bed where Mikey had made himself comfortable with his shirt completely unbuttoned since he had a white tank top on under it.
"You're a natural blonde too?" He asked.
"Got it from my mom. You think I was born with black hair?" I questioned smirking.
"Well Pete has black hair"
"Pete's mom is also Jamaican so not only does he have the black curly locks but also has the sun kissed skin all year round. I'll be back" I said gesturing to the clothes I had in my hand and walking out of my bedroom towards the bathroom and changing quickly to come back and see Mikey had found my family photo album and was going through it.

"Did you and Pete ever date?" He asked showing me the freshmen year semi formal photo my dad had taken of us making me burst into a fit of laughter.
"Hell no. He's like my brother he just didn't have a date so I went with him" I explained which made him nod; he seemed content with that answer and kept flipping through my pictures but suddenly flipped back to the beginning of my book and let out an 'oh' making me look at him.
"Your dad had a mullet" Mikey commented showing me the photo of him and I when I looked to be around three.
"Damn straight"
"And who's this?" He asked pointing to the photo beside it of little blonde me in overalls and a yellow shirt with white sneakers with a women kneeling beside me with blonde hair and bangs; she wore a white t-shirt with denim jeans and sandals and also had a small boy was sitting on her leg.
"Oh, my mom" I told him not looking at the photo any longer than I needed.
"I see the resemblance between you two" he commented with a slight smile on his face as he looked back down at the image.
"First trip we ever took to Disney world. Seb was a year old" I said bluntly as I folded my skirt and placed it at the foot of my bed where Lola was laying.
"Are you wearing crocs in these?!" Mikey asked pointing to another of me and my mother which made me sigh loudly making him look up.
"I'm hungry. Want anything to eat? I can make us Mac & Cheese? That sounds good, let's go" I said quickly as I snatched my photo album away from the lanky blonde and set it on my desk before running out of my room and up the stairs to see Sebastian was in the living room about to start playing StarFox 64 when he saw us.