Mama

Since I found out about Mikey's burn, he's been distant. Jamia said I wasn't suppose to find out but how could I not question it when it was all along his arm; it looked like it was from a fryer but someone must have thrown it at him while it was still hot and caught his arm instead of another body part. I haven't seen him at school and the last time I saw Gerard was nearly two weeks ago at a coffee shop in which he told me Mikey was just at home because he's sick. I wanted to go over and bring some sort of basket so it didn't seem like I was just popping in because apparently their mother-Donna-didn't like when her sons had friends over but I didn't know when the perfect time was.

There wasn't much to do in Belleville like there was in Wilmette; there were a lot of times where Pete and I would go with his older brother to Chicago for a weekend. Him and I in one hotel room and Pete's brother with his girlfriend in another. They were fun and memorable trips and even after Pete got his license, we would travel Illinois and stay at the sketchiest motel we found at midnight and stay there. We had Pete's bat in the trunk of his car in case anything happened and he would need it to protect us but Belleville was different. I couldn't go outside after certain hours in fear of witnessing a drug deal or getting caught in an alley and because I didn't know New Jersey as well as Illinois, I preferred staying in my neighbourhood so I wouldn't get lost. Mikey was the only one who I hung out with and trusted enough to take me around the state so without him, I was kind of lost.

As I sat in my room playing Keep The Faith on bass, I didn't pay attention to anything else but the tabs but a knock on the door made me look up to see my brother and I turned around to look at him as I set my bass down.
"Hey bud"
"Mikey left a voicemail" he told me handing the house phone and allowing me to press the phone to my ear, looking at him confused but he rolled his eyes and walked away making me look at the number, making sure it was Mikey before his voice sounded through the line; he sounded sick?
"Hey Eve I'm sorry I haven't been around. A lot has been going on but I'll explain if you can meet me at the park by my house at three" the voicemail said before ending with a beep; I looked at the clock on my bedside table to see it was nearing three pm so I threw on a plain grey hoodie before running up the stairs, calling to my dad that I was going to meet up with a friend before dashing down the street towards Salter place park.

When I turned down the path, I saw a figure sitting at the swings kicking the mulch around so I walked over to him and placed my hands on his shoulders making him jump and look up at me.
"Hey" I said but he didn't do anything. He just got up from the swing and pulled me into his grip as he shook making me hold him tightly.
"What's wrong?" I asked letting go to meet his tear stained cheeks in which I wiped away the salt water droplets but he just looked back down.
"Gerard" was all he said.
"What happened to G?"
"H-he was in the-the ho-hospital"
"What? Mikey what happened?"
"M-mom" I pulled him into my grip and allowed him to cry harder in my arms despite the height difference.

"Wanna come to my house for a bit?" I asked looking up at him. He looked down at me and I unwrapped an arm from around his shoulders and removed his glasses, wiping away a few more tears making him smile lightly before leaning in and kissing me briefly but I didn't hesitate to kiss back even though I knew this was so wrong. He was so weak yet I was giving into this so I parted away and set his glasses back on his face, he took my hand-not wanting to be a certain distance away from me-and we set off to my house where I would try to pry something out of him.

"Seb where's dad" I called; I got no answer so my assumption was they went out together, locking the house door and kicking my shoes off, Mikey doing the same as I walked into the kitchen and he took a seat at the table.
"want hot chocolate? Coffee? Tea?" I asked looking at the boy who seemed lost.
"Coffee if it isn't much trouble" I nodded at the boy and brought down my Star Wars mug from the cabinet, sitting it under the spout of the machine before sitting down across from him and admiring the way he was picking at his-already chewed up-nails nervously before realizing I was looking at him and sent a small smile.
"You know I'm here for you, right?" I asked.
"I do" I smiled at him again and got up, hearing the coffee machine going off and walked over to it and taking that along with the cup of sugar and setting it across from him before getting the milk.
"Here's the milk, I don't know how you take your coffee so I would rather you do it than me mess it up" I told the boy as I watched him put two teaspoons in with a bit of milk and mixing it all together to create a beige colour.
"Thank you" he said before taking a sip and setting it down again.