A Friend

"You've been moping for nearly an hour, Gemma! So what? He didn't kiss you, blah, he's a coward and an idiot!" Kierra huffed, as she shook my shoulders. I frowned and rested my chin in my hands. Was I craving too much to be loved? Was I just too desperate for him to be a loving mate, that I forgot about what he said that day in the office?

I rubbed my eyes and grumbled incoherent words. Moping would do nothing, I was Luna now, wasn't I? I had to appear strong in front of my pack. I stood up and sighed, thanking Kierra before walking out of my room and down to the kitchen.

"Gemma, right?" A familiar looking girl asked. Her brown eyes studied me, and she smiled softly, "I'm Lanie, Cole's sister, in case you forgot."
"Oh!" I exclaimed, "I knew that."

She laughed, slapping my arm lightly.

"So, how do you like being Luna so far?" She asked, sitting on the kitchen counter. I frowned leaning against the fridge.

"It's... weird. I guess some people are wary of me, because..." I trailed off, unsure of whether she wanted to hear this.

"Because you're the Delta and not Cole's original mate.They're nervous because they're unsure if you'll leave if you find your mate," she finished, flicking her hand and rolling her eyes, "all packs are butts when you first become Luna. Once you show them you won't take any crap they'll leave you alone."

I nodded, remembering that she was also a Luna. I felt a bit bitter over the whole mate thing. They shouldn't worry, because I've already run into him, and I've shown him I don't want him. I thought with annoyance, frowning down at my hands.

"Why the long face?" She asked, leaning on her hands.

"I- I already found my mate!" I blurted out and then blushed. She stared at me for a second, before she smiled widely.

"And?"

"He's in the warrior exchange program. I ran into him right before the ceremony, and right there was when I really rejected him. I saw him this morning, and he and Cole ended up fighting!" I huffed, covering my face with my hands. I've been Luna for one day, and it's already too complicated.

She laughed again, clapping her hands. I looked up in confusion as she keeled over laughing, her arm clutching her stomach. What was so funny? When she finished up, she smirked at me and crossed her arms. She wiggled her eyebrows at me.

"Wow, that is straight out of a book. They were fighting over you!" She cooed, "Cole cares about you!"
"He doesn't know!" I hissed, covering her mouth. Her eyes widened at me, and when I pulled my hand away her jaw dropped.

"You're kidding," she gasped, "why didn't you tell him? Have you told anyone?"

"No," I mumbled. I felt terrible. I didn't even tell Kierra or Molly, and they were my best friends! What is wrong with me? "I just feel like, if I don't tell anyone, I can deal with it, without them asking me questions."

"I understand that," she said softly, "I mean- Nicholas is my mate, but if I was Delta or something, I could understand not wanting to tell people you found your mate. They'd have mixed reactions, people who want you to be happy would convince you to go with him. People who think the pack comes first would chase him away, and tell you to stay away from him no matter what."

She cleared her throat, and a comfortable silence filled the kitchen. I stood there, leaning my head against the cool fridge. I would have to tell Cole sometime though. He was technically my mate now and he deserved to know when I found my true mate.

"Well talking about things we haven't told our mates," she said, slipping off the counter and facing me, "I'm pregnant!"

I blinked, "congratulations!"

"Yeah, I don't know how to tell Nicholas," she sighed, a blush blooming, "I want it to be special, but I don't have any ideas."

"Do you still have the pregnancy test?" I asked she nodded, "you could put it in a box, and wrap it up and give it to him after or during dinner."

She chuckled, "best idea yet."

She grabbed a juice box from the fridge and skipped past me. I snorted as she opened the juice box and sipped from it. She turned around and glared at me teasingly, and took a loud sip out of the straw. Lanie walked to the kitchen entrance, and then turned around and looked at me.

"Hey, Gemma?" She asked, throwing away the already empty box.

"Yeah?" I queried.

"You wanna be friends?" She chirped in a little kid voice, staring at me with wide eyes.

"Of course," I laughed, clasping my hands together. Though I felt like we were already friends from that time so long ago.

"Okay, bye! Talk to you later!" Lanie called and skipped away. I chuckled and shook my head. She wasn't a marshmallow, she was a small child. She's a child with a pup. I smiled softly and looked at my hands, it felt good to have someone understand what it is like to be Luna.

++++

I hadn't seen Cole all day, and I was getting really annoyed for some reason. I felt clingy and needy, but I really didn't care. I wanted to talk to him. After half an hour of walking around the pack house, I gave up and decided to go to the infirmary to check up on Tristan. Despite the fact that I rejected him, and my wolf was always telling me not to worry about him, my wolf howled quietly with joy. I rolled my eyes, make up your mind already you dip.

I walked in, and the pack doctor led me to where Tristan was. Werewolves did heal quicker, but an Alpha's bite was much stronger and left the wolf injured for quite some time. He sat on the bed, looking out the window, the smell of distaste floating off him. Several bandages covered his arms and body.

"Hello Tristan," I said softly, knocking on the door. His body shuddered, and I didn't miss the small smell of lust. He turned towards me, his blue eyes watching me with a question.

"I came here to apologize for Alpha Cole's immaturity. He took the fight much too far, especially since he's an Alpha and you are a warrior from another pack," I told him, sitting down in the chair.

He glanced at me, hurt flickering in his eyes before turning away. I sat there awkwardly, and crossed my legs, looking out the window. My wolf was hurt because he was hurt, but I didn't have any feelings for him anymore. I didn't even feel all that upset for the reason he was hurt.

"Why?" He asked suddenly, his voice dry and cracked.

"Why...?"

"Why did you pick him over me?" He spat out, turning towards me quickly. I jumped startled and regained my posture.

"It was my job," I said stiffly, turning away.

"Not for love, Gemma?" He mumbled, reaching out for me. I stood up and backed away, keeping my gaze on him.

"That's Luna Gemma to you," I snapped, "just because you're my true mate, that doesn't mean you can call me by my name."
"You wouldn't even be Luna if you chose me!" He snapped, and I growled, my fangs slightly elongating. I turned away and walked out, then I looked at him.

"When you are well you will be getting sent back to your pack, Tristan, you are disrespectful and not safe here," I said simply, and shut the door walking away.

My wolf didn't whine, but I could feel the pride flowing from her. I felt our bond fully break apart with that line, and I didn't have any regrets.