Chapter 5: The Bond Calling

That night I have trouble sleeping.

Shit. This mate thing is no child's play. I have only met the guy a few hours ago and already I am unable to fall asleep because he is invading my thoughts.

I glance at the other side of the bed and see Ian sound asleep. I am shocked to realize he has no insomnia after all of today's happenings.

We agreed to talk in the morning, since we were both exhausted and the conversation we had in the car on our way back here was even more exhausting. To sum it up, he thinks we will just resume our normal life as if nothing has happened. Me, on the other hand, know this is not a possibility.

I am changed. For no other reason than meeting Darius Carter. My mate...

I roll over again, fearing I will wake Ian, but he doesn't move. He snores silently, legs spread, one arm under his head. Lucky...

Seeing him like this, makes me think of the day we first met...

It was a hot April day and I was riding my bike to the school library. My clothes stuck on my sweat and I felt nervous. To make it all worse, when I came to the reading area, there were no empty seats left.

Someone sniffed with anger behind me.

I turned, mad, to see who dared to start a fight with me. And it was him. Ian.

"Don't you just hate when that happens?" He smiled at me, holding "A Social Animal" book between his hands.

Suddenly, I wasn't that nervous anymore. I shifted my weight to one side and placed my hand over my hip. "It's a nice read. For a rookie."

He laughed. "Is that so? Well, since I have no place to read it, I guess you can tell me the résumé."

I shook my head. "Don't be so pessimistic. There's always a place to sit if you want to find it."

He smiled, thinking about something. "On second thought, I think I came up with a solution to our predicament," he taps on my elbow. "Come with me."

And I did. Up to this day I don't know why I followed him upstairs to the out-of-service attic, but I've always been glad that I did. We made that spot our secret rendez-vous place and no one has ever found out about it.

When the morning comes, I feel as tired as ever. I wonder if my mate slept well or if he had a struggling night like myself. My gut tells me it's the latter.

Ian moans sleepily as he stretches, an instant smile over his face as our eyes meet.

"Hello, sleepy head," I smile back. He looks so cute with his hair ruffled.

He leans in to lay a kiss on my lips. As I kiss him back, my gut turns thinking about my make-out session with Darius last night. I hate myself for doing it.

He notices my shock.

"What's wrong, babe?"

"I-" I don't know what to say. I should definitely admit it to him, but I don't even know how to begin to explain myself. "It's, um," I struggle to find words to express what I feel. I know I can't find them, though, because not even I understand what is going on. So I decide to be honest. "I don't know, it just... feels wrong."