Chapter 30: Three Months Later

Bruno's barking at the door wakes me up.

Sleepily, I look around to check where I am. I realize I fell asleep on our living room's couch - I moved in with Darius two weeks ago.

There's a knock on the door.

"I'm coming!" I yell and trot towards the door.

As I open it, I put up a purposely false smile. "To what do I owe the displeasure?"

Terry chuckles. "See, you missed having me around for your little jokes and stuff..." he finishes patronizingly.

I raise an eyebrow. "The only thing little here-" I trail off as he walks in, looking around.

"Where's my brother?"

"He went to Derek's. To plan your joining ceremony."

"Oof," he shakes his hand. "Must be killing you we got ours before you did."

"Easy there, sugar," I meet his eyes and shove him lightly, "or I might get you the shittiest present yet."

He chuckles. "I would expect nothing less from you," he winks.

My phone rings then.

"Hi, Mom," I answer immediately.

"How are you Lila?"

"Everything's great," I smile. "Your end?"

"Jamie called me. We, uh... we talked. He wants to meet."

My eyes open wide. "That's amazing, Mom. I'm so happy for you both."

"Me, too," she admits. "I'm meeting him tonight. Near the reserve."

"Already? Where?"

"The restaurant For Wolves&Fun," she replies. "At 9."

I frown - vampires aren't welcomed in the reserve. "You want me to accompany you?"

She laughs. "I don't need protection, but thank you so much for offering," she says.

"Alright," I accept reluctantly. "I want to know everything when you're done."

"Sure thing."

She hangs the phone and I look to the wall. 8:15.

"Had a good nap?" Terry gestures to my ruffled hair, taking an apple from the living room table, then collapses onto the couch.

"Can you keep an eye on Bruno for me?" I ignore his comment. "I need to get someplace."

I'll feel safer knowing I'm around the restaurant if something was to happen.

"Where you goin'?"

"For Wolves & Fun," I say.

"Aight," he sinks his teeth into the apple. "I'mma wait for my bro."

I get out and into my car, then drive towards the restaurant.

#

I park far from the entrance, then install myself at a safe distance. It's already dark out, so no one should notice me.

"Taking notes from my handbook, I see," I hear Darius' voice behind. "My little spy, aren't you?"

I smile, turning. "It would appear so."

"Glad you texted," he wraps his arms around my waist, then stuffs his nose into my neck. "I'll be sure to give you your reward in bed tonight," he teases.

"Yeah?" I raise an eyebrow. "As opposed to when? I always get my reward."

He smirks. "I'm too much of a gentleman, I guess."