Chapter 25: 8 years ago

"And then we'll sneak in to steal the ceremony jewels and get out before anyone notices we were even there," Dione said with a mischevious gleam in his dark eyes.

"Ahaha, that'd be freaking amazing!" I laughed as five of us were seated on a wooden bench in the woods clearing, close to its edge. It was our main meeting spot. The five of us named ourselves the 'Rebel Gang', even though everyone else called us the 'Havoc Clan'.

The team was lead by me and Dione - my best friend from our pack's Delta's family. He was a true rebel at heart and a brilliant schemer. The three other members were Helena, Rachel, and Campton. We were all brilliant fighters and disliked the hierarchy instilled upon us.

"It's a perfect crime because no one will suspect us, since minors aren't even allowed to attend monthly gatherings," Dione wiggled his dark brows.

"C'mon, guys, stealing that equipment's a step too far. What if they get attacked and are left with nothing to defend themselves with?" Helena shook her head. "You really wanna carry that on your souls?"

"The jewels don't really have spiritual powers," Rachel rolled her eyes at Helena, "it's just superstition."

"But what do we prove by stealing them?" Campton joined their team. "It's like saying our own pack is so incompetent they couldn't even protect the most guarded jewels in the history of our tribe."

I pursed my lips. "Exactly. School's ending, guys. This is our last year. We gotta step up our game. We won't be doing this stuff forever. Let us be remembered for something," I stood up. "It'll be the best kept secret ever. We bury the jewels and even our grandkids will still be talking about the myths people invent about their whereabouts," I enjoyed this story. "But only we will know where they really are."

"I don't know..." Rachel shook her head. 

 Dione stood up and all eyes were on him. "What if we don't break into our pack's tribal meeting, but rather another pack's?" My eyes gleamed with excitement. "Would you be willing to do it then?"

Helena's attention was back onto him. "I'll do it only if we're talking Carter's pack."

I let a small smile slip me. I didn't care which pack we robbed, I just wanted to do something bad. It was my way of dealing with frustration. During the day I played a mom to three siblings, but during the night I caused all kinds of havoc.

"It's a deal," Dione placed his fist on the bench - something we all did after a plan's been set in motion.

"On three," I said. "One, two, three-"

"Rebel Gang!" we all cheered.

#

At 12 AM, I climbed out of my bed and slowly opened my bedroom door, trying not to let it squeak.

"The police has been trying to catch the suspects for..." I heard the TV  coming from downstairs. 

Great, I thought ironically. Dad must be drinking again.

I shut the door and stuck my head through my window. Dione was already at the bottom.

"You're late!" he half-whispered.