Chapter 19: True Colors

*2 weeks later*

The house entrance door swings open and I hear Darius' angry voice from upstairs. "I'm fine! It's a superficial cut... Damn it!"

I rush downstairs to find Darius being supported by two pack men by each side, bleeding heavily from a seemingly deep cut over his left ribs. There are quite a few other bruises and marks on other parts of his uncovered torso.

"What happened?" my hands run to him.

"Lila," he looks at me, "it's nothing. You shouldn't stress." There is an authoritative undertone to his words and I know he is referring to the possible child I might be carrying. It's been two weeks since we've had the 'accident', though. If I was pregnant, he should've felt it by now.

Still, I lay a protective hand over my abdomen as I crouch down. "Tell me what happened," I repeat, now demanding.

"We lost Kyle and Ezra," he admits with a heavy heart.

When I watch him this hurt, I even forget I'm angry with him. Is it possible that I love him, then? Regardless of all the shit he said. If so, I'm either really a part of a toxic relationship or this is the Moon Goddess' curse/blessing at work. It's really hard to tell the two apart.

"We were outnumbered by at least a dozen!" Terry explains, stressfully running fingers through his thick brown hair. "Those mother fuckers ambushed us... it was a setup!" He says as though he is realizing it right now. "I've never seen so many vampires at once-"

"Enough," Darius quells him with a stare, tilting his head in my direction. "We will talk about this in private.

And there it is that word. Private. Just as I debated the stem of my feelings, God showed me it must be just the magic. I would never tolerate this otherwise, in the human world.

I get up without a word and leave to get some medicinal alcohol and gauzes. I need to help him first. Then... he will hear my say in this.

"What are you searching for?" Debra asks as I open a kitchen cabinet.

"You haven't heard?" I take what I came for, "your sons have been in a fight yet again."

She rushes out the kitchen to meet them. "Is anyone hurt?" She yells. "What happened?"

As they inform her about only the basics, I hold my anger inside.

Darius doesn't do as much as a flinch as I clean his wound.

Is he made of stone?

I put some antibiotic cream on the gauze so that it doesn't glue to the blood and close it with two strings of cell tape.

"There," I gently tap under it. "Now you can come with me upstairs." I stand up and look at the rest of the pack. "You should go home to your families as well. Where are Ezra and Kyle's bodies?"

It takes a few seconds before everyone adjusts to me being in charge. "Gina is taking care of it. As per usual..." Terry replies.

Gina is a sweet 17 year old girl. I find it strange that they put her in charge of these things. Darius' eyes observe me and I cannot tell what thoughts are behind his serious face expression.