Chapter 21

'Alastora?' The name slips out of his mouth with such easy familiarity that it makes a foul taste gather in my mouth. The name is a harsh reminder of who I was in my early life and I am very grateful to my mother who changed my name for me when she adopted me after seeing how badly my original name affected me.

And despite all the trouble I've gone through to erase and forget that part of my life...I suddenly have two men who have in the last two days called me by that alias.

"Excuse me?" I whisper, gazing at the man in front of us in caution.

Sighing heavily, Alexander gently plucks me off of my chair to stand beside him, responding tiredly, "Anton, I'd appreciate it if you didn't stare at my fiance like that. It makes her uncomfortable."

Anton Heaven blinks a few times as if he's clearing his head before a gracious smile spreads across his face, his hand outstretched towards me in an offer for a handshake, "My apologies, you look very similar to someone I used to know as a child. Also, I didn't mean to insult you just now."

Swallowing the lump that has formed in my throat, I reach my hand out to take his but Alexander intervenes by slapping Anton's hand away, leaving a fierce red mark on the back of his hand in the process.

"It's alright," I murmur dazedly as I look up at Alexander's emotionless face. "Um...did you come here for something?"

Other than to torment me with my old name?

Placing a tighter grip on my side, Alexander mumbles something under his breath as he quickly kisses the side of my head before grabbing his suit jacket on the bar stool in front of us. With Anton Heaven grasped tightly by his shirt collar, Alexander orders Mr Ford to get the car ready while pulling the waving man towards the elevator.

Amidst all this, I manage to get my feet moving by holding Danny by my side as I wave 'goodbye' to the two men, Danny copies me as he tentatively waves his chubby hand from side to side though he isn't even looking at the disappearing men I don't think he even notices that his father is leaving since his eyes are more trained on me than anyone or anything else.

"Well," I mumble, carrying Danny to the living room, and sitting him on my lap. "Looks like Daddy's going to be busy today. What about we watch some Bear In The Big Blue House today?"

Clapping delightedly at my suggestion, I instantly want to smack myself in the head when I remember that those CDs are in Olivia's apartment. Then and there my mental reminder from last night comes up and I decide that maybe I don't have to call her.

I can just go visit her right now!

With the idea locked into my mind, I grab a few things from my room to bring with me. In Danny's diaper bag, I pack in three diapers, a packet of wet wipes, some milk powder, a hot water flask filled with hot water, Danny's favourite aeroplane milk bottle, my wallet and my cell phone. Grabbing some manuscripts along with his car seat as a last-minute decision to drop by the office afterwards, I call out to Mrs Denise that I'll be back after a few hours.

"Don't be too long dearie!" She yells back. "Lunch will be gnocchi in cream sauce!"

Grabbing a random car key from the key hook by the wall of the kitchen, I press in the keypad combination that will take me to the garage. Casually, typing a quick text to Olivia with my free hand that isn't holding the bag or Danny.

Informing her that I was on my way to our apartment and that if she was at home she should open the door for me. As the heavy elevator doors slide open, I randomly point the car key in front of me to see which car's headlights blink in response to me unlocking it.