Chapter 40

A malicious grin graces my lips as I allow my final opponent the brief satisfaction of catching me off guard, using his arrogance against him by turning around to grab his wrist in that small brief window of time, I twist his wrist in the opposite direction of how his wrist should bend causing him to drop his weapon from the pain.

With his eyes following the drop of his gun and his knees slightly bent, I use my foot to kick him down placing him at my mercy, taking the gun for my use. My finger slowly pulls back the trigger, my heart speeds up in excitement as I watch his eyes widen in fear, realising that he is going to die.

And I pull the trigger.

A loud click to my right has me turning my head just in time to look at the once-locked double doors swing open. Dropping the gun in my hand, I hesitantly try to wipe off the blood smears on my arms on the back of my dress as everyone in the reception room stares at the scene before them.

Shit.

"Oh god," Eugene exclaims rushing into the ballroom, eyeing the bodies littering the floor in passing before grasping me by my upper arms."发生什么事啊?(What happened?)"

My mouth opens and closes as though I'm speaking but no words come out. I don't know what to say. What can I say? Unseeingly scanning the faces of the crowd over Eugene's shoulder, my heart skips a beat when a pair of stormy grey eyes meet mine and I hold his gaze as I try to make sense of what just happened.

Tearing my eyes away from him, I turn my gaze to the space between Eugene and me as he continues to soundlessly question me. From the slight widening of his eyes and his partially opened mouth, I can tell despite his emotionless mask that he's shocked.

"我们要现在走(We must leave now)," Eugene states firmly breaking me out of my guilt, releasing one of my arms to tug me out of the ballroom by a side exit that happens to be a fire escape route.

All at once when we disappear the horrified screaming and panicked shouts for order start. I grimace at the horrendous sound that echoes through the fire escape stairwell along with the quick clicks and clacks of our shoes against the concrete floor.

"Get the car ready," Eugene orders sternly into his cell phone which is pressed against his ear. "Tell my father to come to my residence. Both Alastora Ootori and I arrive there in fifteen minutes. Get Ah Buo to give me green lights all the way. We have trouble."

Moving out of the fire escape after a few floors, Eugene pulls me over to a bank of elevators where we enter the first empty one that opens its doors. Taking off his jacket, he drapes it over my shoulders, and while he's at it he pulls the clip holding my hair to the side out and shaggy dogs my hair out to give me a messed up look.

Draping his arm over my shoulder to pull me close to him, I am too shocked to protest so I end up following his lead by leaning my head against his shoulder as if I'm sleepy, and the elevator doors slide open. We walk smoothly past running paramedics and policemen who pay us no mind as we make our way to the waiting car.

Seating me in the back seat first, Eugene rounds the boot of the car to get into the other side of the car. Immediately the driver takes off, driving smoothly on the street without stopping, The silence between Eugene and me is tense but I do nothing to lighten the atmosphere.

Logans proved my theory right that he was the one who gave Alexander the pictures and having Eugene here to be my getaway option knowing that I wouldn't go to Alexander since Logans must have known I haven't told him my past...it easily makes it look like I've been cheating on Alexander all this time...the price on me was just a necessary distraction to get me jumpy and nervous... the kidnapping attempt on me in Seattle just made Alexander curious about me...and by having him see me covered in blood and surrounded by dead bodies...I can't even begin to think what's going through Alexander's mind right now.